Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at the Race Track"

“Murder without blood stains like Amos without Andy – most unusual.” - Charlie Chan

Our film for this week is “Charlie Chan at the Race Track,” starring Warner Oland, and featuring Keye Luke as Number One Son, Lee. We start off in Australia for the Melbourne Cup horse race. Some shady happenings lead to murder and intrigue that lead Charlie Chan and son, lee, to the mainland where they seek to solve a murder and discover the secrets of an international gang of crooked gamblers who will stop at nothing to protect their illicit activities!

Please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing online through such outlets as YouTube, etc. HAPPY NEWS…this week’s film, “Charlie Chan at the Race Track,” IS available at YouTube! Here is the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn4cSRKLlu4

FILM NOTES: The Roxy Theatre in New York billed this film as “At The Race Track with Charlie Chan.” ‘Variety’ reviewed the movie as “Chan at the Race Track.” According to ‘Motion Picture Herald’ and ‘Liberty’, some scenes in the film were shot at Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, California, and the film contained footage of "some of the most spectacular events of the recent racing season." ‘Motion Picture Herald’ also notes that the film "has a semi-topical significance in as much as a great antipodean horse, Pharlap, brought to this country a few years ago [from Australia], died under circumstances that have never been fully explained." ‘Liberty’ notes that Technical Director Monroe Liebergold had been a jockey for the well-known horse breeder H. P. Whitney. Although ‘Hollywood Reporter’ production charts list Neil Fitzgerald and John Mooney as additional actors, and only Neil Fitzgerald's participation in the final film has been confirmed.

NEXT WEEK (March 31) we will be sharing “Charlie Chan at the Opera” with Boris Karloff!

WARNER OLAND SCRAP BOOK: It was through great good fortune for me to come across a very meticulously accumulated collection of newspaper and magazine articles and trade paper items dating from 1916 until 1932, all housed within an old scrap book. This was compiled by someone who was EXTREMELY devoted to Warner Oland; a family member, perhaps? Presently, I am beginning the very lengthy process of scanning each page, as well as loose items that were placed between pages. Eventually this item will be on view in its entirety at our Charlie Chan family Home for all to see and enjoy.

“THE RETURN OF CHARLIE CHAN” ON DVD: If you are interested in purchasing a clear, clean copy of “The Return of Charlie Chan” (Universal – 1971) a made-for-TV movie starring Ross Martin as Charlie Chan, I can recommend a version which you will find at: http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-return-of-charlie-chan-ross-martin-dvd-504052734. It lists for $14.99 which includes postage/handling. However, you may make a lower offer!

A NEW CHARLIE CHAN BOOK: “The Charlie Chan Mystery Movie Guide” by Luke Freemen, who attended last week’s Chat, is available at a list price of $16.99 (and less via Amazon.com). Please read our description of this new Chan entry at our Entrance page at www.charliechan.info.

AND… Please check out the new comic series, “Chinatown Cop,” based on the life of HPD Detective Chang Apana at: www.chinatowncop.com.

Please take care, have a pleasant Monday, and let’s all get together for another Chan-filled evening of fun and sharing as we watch “Charlie Chan at the Race Track.”

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at the Race Track"

Shoot. Can't believe I missed RACE TRACK. One of my absolute favorites. Hope everyone had a good time.

Did I read somewhere that we play this one again in November, when the Melbourne Cup (featured in the film) is run?

Luke