Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chabing

My wife and I were watching "The Chinese Ring" last night and were wondering
about Chabing. I can't find any information about her other than a photo
slide show of a 1998 family reunion. BIG family!!

No birth date, etc. A lady of mystery!

Re: Chabing

She also has a very short scene in the Chan film "The Shanghai Chest", which stars Roland Winters as Charlie Chan. In that scene, Winters also speaks a short sentence in Chinese.

Filmography. Actress (8 credits). Seems she played some "risqué" parts! Lou

1951 Anne of the Indies
Slave Girl (uncredited)

1951 I Was an American Spy
Lolita

1950 The Art of Burlesque

1948 Strip Tease College Girls

1948 Shanghai Chest
Miss Lee - Receptionist (uncredited)

1947 The Chinese Ring
Lillie Mae Wong

1947 Singapore
Native Woman (uncredited)

1946 Anna and the King of Siam
Wife of King (uncredited)

Gentlemen:

A very mysterious lady, indeed! Chabing graced the screen for several years, then vanished. Very possibly she chose marriage and family over an acting career.

Sincerely,
Rush

The messages about Chabing remind me a little of our local Syracuse movie star Louise Henry, who made movies in the 1930's and 40's, and then seemed to vanish. Louise Henry was born in Syracuse in 1911, and returned here in the 1940's after leaving Hollywood. She kept a very low profile, and was not involved with any major stage or performing activites in Syracuse, though she apparently ran a small drama school. We had discussed her whereabouts a few times on the Charlie Chan Message Board, but no one knew where she was, or if she was still living. Her obituary in 2011 was the first clue I had that she had actually lived locally here in Syracuse for nearly 70 years. Apparently she preferred the quiet life here instead of the pace of Hollywood.

"SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY LIKE THE NIGHT". Charlie quoting Lord Byron to John Quincy Winterslip as they watch Carlota Egan walk away on the beach (House without a key, 1925, Chap 16 :) T.Y.S.M.