Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forbidden City, USA: Chinese American Nightclubs, 1936-1970

Rush, et al, perchance did anyone happen to attend any of the May exhibits at the Chinese Center at the San Francisco Public Library on this subject: "Writer and filmmaker Arthur Dong as he discusses his new book, Forbidden City, USA: Chinese American Nightclubs, 1936-1970"?

Apparently, there was a famous S.F nightclub, with that name and the following link tells more about the documentary, book, and events: http://caamedia.org/blog/2014/04/09/forbidden-city-chinatown-nightclubs-exhibit-in-sf/

Looks like most events are past, but there's one, June 12th: Open Books with Lisa See discussing her new book, "China Dolls", Main Library, Koret Auditorium, 6:30 pm (the club is a central point).

Apparently, there were many similar asian clubs pre-WWII in Chinatown, especially in S.F. I have two pictures of my Uncle in the Navy taken at "Bimbo's 365 Club" S.F. and "Florentine Gardens" Hollywood CA. Both rather, risqué!

Just thought it would make interesting discussion if anyone had attended any events.

TXS
Lou

Re: Forbidden City, USA: Chinese American Nightclubs, 1936-1970

Dear Lou,

Thank you for the information! Sounded great, unfortunately, it would not have been possible for me to attend.

Sincerely,
Rush