Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Rio" (8PM, EDT)

“Biggest mistakes in history made by people who didn't think.” – Charlie Chan

We continue our tour through the Charlie Chan film series with “Charlie Chan in Rio.” Charlie Chan and Number Two Son, Jimmy, search for the identity of the killer of a noted nightclub singer. In the process, they find that this is a very tangled case, indeed!

Please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing through such outlets as YouTube, etc. HAPPY NEWS…sort of…this week’s film, “Charlie Chan in Rio,” IS available at YouTube…but dubbed in GERMAN! Here is the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sUFaZ6baMw

FILM NOTES: Although Ted North's character is called "Carlos Dantas" in the film's onscreen credits and in reviews, in the picture he is called "Clark Denton." According to Hollywood Review news items, Virgil Miller was originally assigned as the photographer on this film, but was replaced by Joseph P. MacDonald, who was promoted after serving as an operative cameraman with Twentieth Century-Fox for eight years. An April 30, 1941 ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news item noted that Jeanne Kelly had been loaned by Universal to appear in the next Charlie Chan film, and, while it was presumably this picture, her participation has not been confirmed. “Charlie Chan in Rio” bears a striking resemblance to “The Black Camel”, directed ten years earlier by Hamilton MacFadden, who appears in the cast of Rio. It is perhaps of interest to note that MacFadden also appeared briefly in “The Black Camel”, and he also had a minor role in “Charlie Chan in Reno” (1939).

NEXT WEEK…and BEYOND: July 21: “Castle in the Desert,” July 28: “Charlie Chan in the Secret Service.”

THANK YOU SO MUCH!: I will be leaving on a lengthy vacation with family and our own GS has kindly agreed to facilitate our Monday Evening Chat/film Viewings while I am away for a few weeks, beginning with our July 14th evening. If circumstances allow, I will try to drop in on our Chat sessions. Again… “Thank you so much!”

“THE RETURN OF CHARLIE CHAN” ON DVD: If you are interested in purchasing a clear, clean copy of “The Return of Charlie Chan” (Universal – 1971) a made-for-TV movie starring Ross Martin as Charlie Chan, I can recommend a version which you will find at: http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-return-of-charlie-chan-ross-martin-dvd-504052734. It lists for $14.99 which includes postage/handling. However, you may make a lower offer!

As always, please take care, have a pleasant Monday, and let’s all get together for an evening of celebration and of fun and sharing as we watch “Dead Men Tell.”

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Rio" (8PM, EDT)

I apologize for the error at the very end of my original message. The film for our Monday Chat, of course, will be "Charlie Chan in Rio."

Sorry about any possible confusion...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick