Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Disguises

Hi, Virginia. You have made a good observation, in that the viewer can often see through disguises by the actor's voice. In addition to your examples, in several Moto movies the character of Mr. Moto dons disguises which fool everyone in the storyline, but Lorre's distinctive voice gives it away to the viewer.

Yes, John. And if Lorre's voice didn't give it away his awful teeth and short stature would have. Ditto with Rathbone's Holmes disguises....the nose almost always gives it away :)

Well Virginia, "Murder Cruise" is easy, because of the distinctive voice of the actor who played the murderer. I am not sure about "Paris". I would have to watch that one again, to see if I could catch the difference between those two actors voices. Diana

It adds fun to finding whodunit.

Now, to Treasure Island . . . :
Anybody else notice the original Dr. Zodiac who shows up in the seance scene with Kay Linaker?! Even his eyes with the makeup behind the mask is telling, IMHO.

Virginia, I was thinking that Zodiac was played by one of my more favorite actors, Gerald Mohr. He had such a distinctive voice. He never became a big star, but I was always happy to see (or hear) him. Diana

Yes! I had problems convincing some people that it was Mohr, because I had been so long familiar his voice and recognizing his eyes behind the mask.

I was lucky enough to get Kay Linaker's address and sent her a note which she kindly answered. She specifically mentioned him in the seance scene. Rush has her note here in his section for the actors under Mohr's name.

That's one great thing about Rush's site here: He is inclusive and gives credit where credit is due, all in the spirit of sharing what we know about one of the world's finest detective, Charlie Chan.