Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "The Chinese Ring"

"Honorable father once say, "Politeness golden key to many doors.” – Charlie Chan

Our Monday Evening Chat and film viewing for this week features “The Chinese Ring,” starring Roland Winters, in his first appearance as Charlie Chan. We also have Victor Sen Yung as Number Two Son, only he is now referred to as Tommy! As we do not hear anything of Number Three Son (Tommy) nor the venerable Mrs. Chan, and we see that Charlie Chan is now based in San Francisco, we can only conjecture as to why the name change has occurred. The main “theory” among Chan fans is that the Chans’ third son has by now passed away, possibly the result of some accident, and Jimmy took on his name as something of a tribute to his younger brother. We can discuss this issue as we watch our film! We also have Mantan Moreland as Birmingham Brown… In this film, a Chinese princess is murdered at Charlie Chan’s home, thrusting the detective into an investigation of a case with international implications.

So, please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing through such outlets as YouTube, etc. HAPPY NEWS…this week’s film, “The Chinese Ring,” IS available at YouTube at this address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSMiW_vYAeo

FILM NOTES: The title card on this film reads: Charlie Chan in "The Chinese Ring". The film's working titles were The Mandarin's Secret, The Red Hornet, and Charlie Chan and the Chinese Ring. Independent Film Journal reviewed the picture as The Red Hornet. Although Call Bureau Cast Service lists Valerie Ardis as "Stenographer," the Variety review and studio production files list Charmienne Harker in the role. This film marked the first Charlie Chan film to star Roland Winters, who was chosen to replace Sidney Toler who had died earlier in 1947. For more information, please check our Charlie Chan Family Home site at: http://www.charliechan.info/id59.html

NEXT WEEK: (October 27) we will be sharing “Charlie Chan in Egypt” starring Warner Oland, as we hold our annual Charlie Chan Family Virtual Halloween Party!

PLEASE NOTE: “THE RETURN OF CHARLIE CHAN” ON DVD: If you are interested in purchasing a clear, clean copy of “The Return of Charlie Chan” (Universal – 1971) a made-for-TV movie starring Ross Martin as Charlie Chan (which will be our final film stop on this year’s Chan Film Tour), I can recommend a version which you will find available at: http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-return-of-charlie-chan-ross-martin-dvd-504052734. It lists for $12.00 which includes postage/handling. However, you may make a lower offer! “The Return of Charlie Chan” is this year’s final film in our journey through Chandom!

may you have a pleasant Monday, and let’s all get together for an evening of fun, as we watch “The Chinese Ring.”

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "The Chinese Ring"

Ironically, I just watched this movie yesterday. It was the first Roland Winters film as Charlie that I have seen. I actually was surprised that I liked it. It was great to see Jimmy...err Tommy and Philip Ahn has always been a favorite. Looking forward to seeing more of the Winters films.