Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broome's Hotel in London (To Jane?)

To Jane in London, hello from Cleveland Ohio. I believe your are in London, yes? I'm doing a little research. Reference the below two paragraphs from the novel Charlie Chan Carries On, 1930. I wondered if you were familiar or might know if there is/was indeed a famous Broome's Hotel in London near "Half Moon St & Clarges Street". A search on the internet had me going in circles with no clear find. However, I was wondering if is ever existed as famous as Earl Derr Bigger's outlines it in the novel? I originally thought that Biggers was describing the famous Winchester House in San Jose, CA (only a days drive from his residence in Pasadena). However, it may be just the London hotel (if it existed), or quite possible he infuse both of the locations for the novel. Anything you might know would be appreciated. If you're not in London I can only say: "Humble apologies from this unworthy miscreant" :). T.Y.S.M. Lou

QUOTE:
To speak of Broome's Hotel in connection with the word murder is more or less sacrilege, but unfortunately it must be done. This quaint old hostelry has been standing in Half Moon Street for more than a hundred years, and it is strong in tradition, though weak in central heating and running water. Samuel Broome, it is rumored, started with a single house of the residential type. As the enterprise prospered,more were added, until to-day twelve such houses have been welded into a unit, and Broome’s not only the way to Clarges Street in the rear, where there is a second entrance.

The various residences have been joined in haphazard fashion, and a guest who walks the corridors of the upper floors finds himself in a sort of mystic maze. Here he mounts three steps, there he descends two more, he turns to the most eccentric corners, doors and archways bob up before him where he least expects them. It is a bit hard on the servants who carry coals for the open fires, and hot water in old –fashioned cans for the guests who have not been able to secure one of the rare bathrooms, installed as a half-hearted afterthought.
:UNQUOTE