Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chan book

I just ordered this from Daedalus Books yesterday. It may be of great interest to Family members:
Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American History

Author
Yunte Huang.
Publisher Norton
Format hardcover
Product Dimensions 9.5 x 6.75 x 1 inches
ISBN 9780393069624
Pages/Publication Date 355/2010
Daedalus Item Code 41466
List Price: $26.95
Sale Price: $4.98
You Save: $21.97
Qty
Tell a friend
Great Deals Notable Book
Description
(Shortlisted for the 2010 National Book Critics Circle Award in Biography and a 2011 Edgar Award) This provocative first "biography" of fictional detective Charlie Chan presents American history through the unique filter of a racially and culturally stereotyped Hollywood icon, whose roots extend to a real-life detective who wielded a bullwhip in territorial Hawaii. Yunte Huang ingeniously resurrects the "honorable detective" from the graveyard of rejected postmodern symbols, where all stereotypes have been relegated as demeaning and derogatory, and reclaims him as as embodiment of America's rich cultural diversity.

"Described as a 'heady mixture of scholarship, essay and memoir' (Washington Post), Charlie Chan energetically deconstructs the social and cultural milieu of the fictional detective as it examines the people and events that contributed to his popularity. Huang interweaves a vast number of historical and cultural topics in this sprawling work, including the class system of prestatehood Hawaii, the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, the 'Yellow Peril,' American literature, and Hollywood. Critics praised Huang's extensive research, careful analysis, and his willingness to use his own experiences as a Chinese immigrant to examine racism, exploitation, and assimilation—a deeply personal but surprisingly cheerful journey into his past. As provocative as it is engaging."—Bookmarks Magazine

Re: Chan book

Jamison, I thought it was an excellent read and great collaboration by Mr. Huang. I attended his lecture in Hawaii on the book. If you haven't seen already, Rush has posted a couple of reviews on this website under "The Study". Scroll down to "Book Review" and click on the panama hats next to them. TXS Lou

Dear Jamison,

I hope that you enjoy this interesting book by Yunte Huang. Several years ago I read this book and was thoroughly engaged from cover to cover. Also, I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Huang a number of years ago. Fine gentleman, fine book!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

It took "forever" to get the book because it was on back order. It finally arrived last week. Will start reading it this weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed Rush;s review.