Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TONIGHT: "Charlie Chan in City in Darkness"

“Confucius has said, ‘A wise man question himself, a fool others.’” (Charlie Chan – “Charlie Chan in City in Darkness”)

On the apt occasion of Memorial Day, our journey through the Charlie Chan film series brings us back to the City of Light, Paris. However, this is a very different Paris from the one Mr. Chan visited a few years earlier! This time, the winds of impending war blow through the darkened streets as the populace cowers at the threat of possible air raids. Amidst the confusion, life – and murder – continue, plunging the detective into a case that could have ramifications that tie directly to the dangerous events looming on the horizon!

Please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

FILM NOTES: “Charlie Chan in City in Darkness” begins with newsreel-like footage featuring actual European leaders of the moment, including Hitler, Mussolini, Edward Benes (then president of Czechoslovakia), and Neville Chamberlain (then prime Minister of Great Britain, who became famous for his “Peace for our time” statement based on the dubious outcome of the Munich Conference which figures at the end of the film via Charlie Chan’s ominous warning).

EVEN IF you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, new comers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing online through such outlets as YouTube, etc.

HAPPY NEWS…this week’s film, “Charlie Chan in City in Darkness,” IS available at YouTube at this address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5NT5lpk-g

NEXT WEEK (June 1) we will be sharing “Charlie Chan in Panama.”

Please have a happy and safe Monday, and let’s all get together for another Chan-filled evening of fun and sharing as we watch “Charlie Chan in City in Darkness.” I hope to see you there!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: TONIGHT: "Charlie Chan in City in Darkness"

IMHO, City in Darkness is the weakest Fox entry...it's still watchable...I'll watch anything Chan...one of the things that bothered me..Charlie foolishly trying to tackle Leo G Carroll alone...also, I'm quite sure that if they were willing to use acid on Charlie to get him to talk..no way was he going to survive the evening..probably would've ended up floating in the Seine...Charlie acted way too civil toward his would be murderers at the end of the film...another thing...I find Harold Huber hard to take as a buffoon...I found him more appealing as a bad guy in the Moto series...

My two cents,

Robert