Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Actress in THE CHINESE CAT

Rush, I see that you updated the info to your website under the movie page for "Charlie Chan in The Chinese Cat". So I went ahead and submitted it for inclusion under Daisy Bufford on IMDb. When I typed in the movie as "The Chinese Cat" I got an error and had to pick from a list of movies. One being (of Course) "Charlie Chan in The Chinese Cat". So I imagine that, if approved, it will automatically post to the move entry as well.

Thanks to Brent's inquiry...another mystery solved!

Lou

"The case that isn't solved promptly is likely to go unsolved"
(Inspector Duff, "Charlie Chan Carries On", 1930, Chapter 6)

Re: Actress in THE CHINESE CAT

If the actress is indeed Daisy Bufford, she was born Daisy King in 1913 and died in 1987. She made at least two dozen uncredited appearances in both Hollywood and the independent "all-Negro" films. She is definitely the woman Louis Armstrong sings to in JAM SESSION (1944). She played a maid in JEZEBEL and GONE WITH THE WIND. She had a credited co-starring role in the black-oriented horror movie SON OF INGAGI (1940). I used to have it on VHS, but when I watched it, I didn't realize who she was. Ms. Bufford may never have been interviewed, though I'm still looking; she straddled the line between two types of movie-0making and I would have loved to have read her impressions.