Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Oland, Luke mystery

Darryle, I read the first 6 pages of your book on Amazon.com...GOOD STUFF! I'm definitely going to get a copy. What do you classify this as, whodunit, softboiled, Mystery, or maybe a new category: Cowboy Pulp? I see it made Amazon's "Best Books of the Year So Far for 2015"...Congratulations!

I've read one other author has did something similar with respect to Charlie Chan. J.L. Abramo, did a mystery, "Chasing Charlie Chan" that included the studios and Chan Author Earl Derr Bigger's residence in California. This reminded me of that book, and I really like the cowboy twist. Really enjoyed the six pages and can't wait get me a copy "pardner" :). TXS Lou

Thanks, Lou. The Hollywood Cowboy Detective series is a compilation of several classifications, including whodunit-mystery, 1930s contemporary western, pulp, cliffhanger-serial, and, basically, adventure for ages 12 to my generation. In some of them I’ve included a bit of sci-fi and supernatural elements. They are designed to be just darn-good fun. I always research where my real-life characters were and what they were doing during the time period that I pull them together for a story. I try to honor those folks in that I only incorporate people whom I have really enjoyed (some of my favorite cowboys when I was a kid). Certainly Warner Oland is someone who brought me great enjoyment. If you check out my illustrated covers, you’ll see that I also just loved the style of 1930s pulps and adventure books. Arizona Dragon is the follow-up book to Mystery at Movie Ranch, which involves Ken Maynard and Hoot Gibson. Thanks again for your kind words. –Darryle
http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Movie-Hollywood-Cowboy-Detectives/dp/1502371510/ref=sr_1_3_twi_1_pap?ie=UTF8&qid=1436449463&sr=8-3&keywords=darryle+purcell

Dear Darryl,

I am currently on the road with my family (Lake Tahoe at the moment), and I will definitely order a copy of your book upon my return! I would do so now, but, as I type, we are preparing to hit the road to Sacramento...family awaits!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Thanks, Rush.
Sounds like a fun family vacation.
Have a great time.
-Darryle