Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 15th, 2018: Charlie Chan Convention?

This msg is actually a follow-on to a recent conversation, sparked by John Cucinotta (See his topic: "Message boards"). In it he brings up a very good point, "How do we attract newcomers?" (and keep Charlie Chan alive!)

I'd like to propose one way is a Charlie Chan Convention. I certainly wouldn't mind being on the committee and I KNOW that many of you are VERY (more) qualified! Here's some things I've participated in that lead me to believe we could do this:

- 1997-2013: While in federal service, I organized/hosted annual conventions each year in Hawaii, Tokyo, & Seoul (around 130 attendees).
- 2010: I assisted Steve Fredrick in Honolulu (along with Rush) to organize his 1st ever Charlie Chan Mystery Weekend" (special guest James Hong)
- 2012: I attended & contributed to the 2012 Bouchercon Mystery Convention (over 1000 attendees).

Here's some initial ideas I had. We've all attended conventions, so:

- RECEPTION DINNER w/GUEST SPEAKER: How about Barbara Gregorich, James Hong, or Elizabeth George?

- SHOW FILMS: This is a sure way to get some new/younger folks to experience Charlie first hand.

- SPECIAL MYSTERY GUEST(S): Whomever we can get to come? However, the first person that comes to mind is Author Barbara Gregorich. She of course is the worlds subject matter expert on Earl Derr Biggers and gives presentations on him. Another person is Elizabeth George. She is actually from Earl Derr Biggers hometown of Warren Ohio, and one of today's most famous mystery writers, up there with Lee Childs, Mary Higgins Clark.

- DISCUSSION FORUMS: Most of us could lead these, and from my experience it's usually a panel of 3 or more: Rush Glick, Steve Fredrick, Donavan Brown. We just have to figure the topics, such as: "Chang Apana: Truth or Myth", "The significance of Earl Derr Biggers in the Modern Mystery", "The Death of Charlie Chan: WWII" (like so).

- SPECIAL FEATURES: One thing I've been watching alot lately are the "Special Features" at the end of the Chan Movies. These are truly GREAT educationally and fun! They are (in my humble) an untapped source of education on "all things Chan" and great as into or even "the topics" for our forums! (Show the Clip, then discuss).

- LOCATION: 1st Choice would be Los Angeles. Honolulu would be nice, but I think logistically, LA would bring more participants. Also, maybe we could solicit the "Old Town Music Hall" to show the Chan Movies.

I know this would not be a simple task, but nothing good ever is. I chose 2018, because that will mark 85 years since the deaths of both Earl Derr Biggers & Chang Apana (1933). Using a 1933 calendar, the halfway mark between their deaths (April 5th & December 26th respectively) is August 15th. Hence, August 15th, 2018. We'd have 3 years to plan, so that's a head start! Maybe a 2-day convention?

OK, that's my idea if anyone is interested.

"The fates are busy, and man may do much to assist" (The House Without a Key, Chap 7, 1925)

TXS Lou

Re: August 15th, 2018: Charlie Chan Convention?

Dear Lou,

This is a very good idea, and is something that would be worthy of looking into, to be sure. Perhaps such an undertaking could "piggyback" onto another mystery-related or horror convention, as there would be a built-in audience?

I love your thinking, Lou!

Sincerely,
Rush

I think too Rush that a Chan venue would do well attached to something else. When Trek conventions first started in Philadelphia they were joint events with Dr. Who.

I've often thought that PBS should run the films again. It's been at least 25 years since my local station ran them.

I'm also thinking of donating some DVD sets to my local library. They don't have a single copy. If more folks saw the films I know they'd love them as much as we all do.

What wonderful ideas you have! I have found that most Chan fans are creative.

Rush, Janin, thanks for the comments. I did a small bit of research on the very 1st Sherlock Holmes convention 24-26 April 2015 in London (Bendedict Cumberbatch was there :):

1. WWW.SHERLOCKED.COM
DISCUSSION: The website they used to create there event: www.eventbrite.com. It is free if you are not charging anything for registration. And if you are, the fees are minmal. A worldwide event company

2. COST: 1-day $45.00, Weekend (2.5 day)-$68.00
DISCUSSION: I did a calculation using a $10.00 fee for a Chan event, with these results. One thing I learned from past conventions is you have to "Start" with a "target number" of paying participants, unless you have other sources for funding:

TICKET PRICE: $10.00
Eventbrite fee (2.5%): $0.225
Eventbrite additional fee ($.65 British pounds): $1.0134
Eventbrite “on-line” processing fee (3.5%): $0.35
Total Eventbrite Cost: $1.62
TICKET BALANCE (after fees): $8.38

Guestimate Number of attendees: 100
Ticket Balance (after fees) $838.00 (Start up $'s to use in hosting the convention)

3. SPONSORS/PARTICIPANTS: http://www.sherlocked.com/index.php/about-us. This convention was sponsored by Massive Events, in association with Hartswood Films and Showmasters.
DISCUSSION: We could-should look for sponsors. Some ideas/interested parties I can think of off-hand are:
a. Left Coast Crime (http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/): These folks host an annual mystery convention (literary) in various locations between HI & TX (CA, NM, OR, etc). Check out their 2017 Convention in Waikiki, HI: Ghost of Honor is Earl Derr Biggers!!! I know they put on a play at their 2009 convention on Muai: The House without a Key.
b. Others might be: Old Town Music Hall, Segunda CA (show films); 20th Century Fox or TCM (front us some movies to sell?); Local Restaurants & Shops (Prizes for a drawing); Individuals (i.e. I can do a first day of issue commemorative cancellation for the event, with U.S. Postal Service)

OK, this is too long. I'll stop know. We need to set a time/venues to discuss further if we wish to go forward, yes?

Lou

You've certainly done your research Louis. It would mean my first trip ever to Cal ah forn eye eh. :>)

Janin, now we just need to know if others are interested. Rush, Steve F., anyone else? I mean Heck! There's already two of us attending