Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: August 15th, 2018: Charlie Chan Convention?

Rush, Janin, thanks for the comments. I did a small bit of research on the very 1st Sherlock Holmes convention 24-26 April 2015 in London (Bendedict Cumberbatch was there :):

1. WWW.SHERLOCKED.COM
DISCUSSION: The website they used to create there event: www.eventbrite.com. It is free if you are not charging anything for registration. And if you are, the fees are minmal. A worldwide event company

2. COST: 1-day $45.00, Weekend (2.5 day)-$68.00
DISCUSSION: I did a calculation using a $10.00 fee for a Chan event, with these results. One thing I learned from past conventions is you have to "Start" with a "target number" of paying participants, unless you have other sources for funding:

TICKET PRICE: $10.00
Eventbrite fee (2.5%): $0.225
Eventbrite additional fee ($.65 British pounds): $1.0134
Eventbrite “on-line” processing fee (3.5%): $0.35
Total Eventbrite Cost: $1.62
TICKET BALANCE (after fees): $8.38

Guestimate Number of attendees: 100
Ticket Balance (after fees) $838.00 (Start up $'s to use in hosting the convention)

3. SPONSORS/PARTICIPANTS: http://www.sherlocked.com/index.php/about-us. This convention was sponsored by Massive Events, in association with Hartswood Films and Showmasters.
DISCUSSION: We could-should look for sponsors. Some ideas/interested parties I can think of off-hand are:
a. Left Coast Crime (http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/): These folks host an annual mystery convention (literary) in various locations between HI & TX (CA, NM, OR, etc). Check out their 2017 Convention in Waikiki, HI: Ghost of Honor is Earl Derr Biggers!!! I know they put on a play at their 2009 convention on Muai: The House without a Key.
b. Others might be: Old Town Music Hall, Segunda CA (show films); 20th Century Fox or TCM (front us some movies to sell?); Local Restaurants & Shops (Prizes for a drawing); Individuals (i.e. I can do a first day of issue commemorative cancellation for the event, with U.S. Postal Service)

OK, this is too long. I'll stop know. We need to set a time/venues to discuss further if we wish to go forward, yes?

Lou

You've certainly done your research Louis. It would mean my first trip ever to Cal ah forn eye eh. :>)

Janin, now we just need to know if others are interested. Rush, Steve F., anyone else? I mean Heck! There's already two of us attending