Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Happy Birthday to You, Earl!

"But those of us who new him as a friend, loved him more for himself than for his work"
(Lee Shippey, L.A. Times columnist April 7, 1933)

http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id218.html

From Rush's "STUDY": Some nice words about "The Man" (vs the author) at the second half of this short article"

HAPPY 131st BIRTHDAY, EARL!
Lou

Re: Happy Birthday to You, Mr. Biggers

Aloha Mr. Biggers,

As I walk through the streets of downtown Honolulu, I think of you. I never met you, but I feel you around me. As I walk past the old Honolulu Police Department Building, I glance over to the tall door entrance and I think of you researching HPD back in the day.

When I visit the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, in Waikiki, I think of you. For some time now, I take my lunch break on the back lanai of the Royal. As I eat my sandwich, I look out over the Coconut Grove area of the hotel and I think of you being interviewed by reporters from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin newspaper.

As I walk through the long hallways of the old hotel, I think of you meeting HPD detective Chang Apana. I understand that the Royal was the site of a photo shoot between the two of you in 1928.

Mr. Biggers, you should know that there is still great interest in your beloved Chinese-Hawaiian detective. For the past 12 to 13 years, Mr. Rush Glick has dedicated a website to your Charlie Chan. I hope that future generations will read your books as much as past generations have.

Happy Birthday Mr. Biggers. I never met you, but I feel you around me.

Mahalo for your six classic Charlie Chan novels.

Hawaii_Steve
A fan of Charlie Chan

Re: Happy Birthday to You, Earl!

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Charlie Chan's Poppa!

Sincerely,
Rush