Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book Review: Mystery of the Arizona Dragon & Mystery of the Stuntman's Ghost

Aloha all (from Cleveland :). Just wanted to share a good read with everyone, with a Chan flavor. If you are looking for pure escape and relaxation, Darryle Purcell's "Mystery of the Arizona Dragon" is a light read and very entertaining. This is really a fun, cowboy meet's Hollywood, meets actors Warner Oland and Key Luke, meets rodeo & film star Hoot Gibson, to fight anti-american bad guys, detective novel. I couldn't imagine the author could make this combination work, but somehow he does, while keeping it suspenseful and easy to read. It's a great bedside companion and there are even a few "aphorisms" thrown around by Warner Oland.

An added bonus, it includes a second short story with the same cowboy detective protagonist, Sean "Curly" Woods, who teams up with none other than..."Hopalong Casidy" & Sidekick "Windy" Halliday in: "Mystery of the Stuntman's Ghost".

Haven't seen any Chan books since Yunte Huang's and thought I'd share. TXSLou

Re: Book Review: Mystery of the Arizona Dragon & Mystery of the Stuntman's Ghost

Wow! Thank you, Louis. I really appreciate the great review.
And I’m pleased you got the paperback. There’s something extra that one gets in holding an ink-on-paper, illustrated book that a Kindle digital version does not deliver. Of course, I’m old and certainly biased.
I write the type of adventures that I still enjoy after all these years. Obviously, I love all of the Chan films, especially those from 20th Century Fox. I’m also a big fan of the old serials and pulp publications. I always try to honor the real people who appear in my Hollywood Cowboy Detectives series. And, you nailed it, I write for “pure escapism and relaxation.”
Thanks again for your kind words.

Re: Book Review: Mystery of the Arizona Dragon & Mystery of the Stuntman's Ghost

Dear Lou,

Thank you for sharing this! Another book we need to find.

Sincerely,
Rush