Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I am looking for a complete dvd set of Charlie Chan all of them

RW, I'm sure other folks might know more, but to my knowledge they are:

-20 Century Fox Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 (each a box set of around 5 or 6 movies)
-TCM Charlie Chan Collection (4 movie box set)
-Warner Home Video (4 movie box set)
-MGM Charlie Chan Chanthology (6 movie box set)
-Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen (single movie)
-The Return of Charlie Chan (single DVD: order from Rush's homepage at bottom0
-The New Adventures of Charlie Chan (British TV Show-39 episodes)

I'm sure if there's anything I missed or screwed up, Rush will correct me :).

Good hunting!
Lou

Re: I am looking for a complete dvd set of Charlie Chan all of them

Dear RW,

The only way to get all available Charlie Chan movies in ONE set is to purchase from a "grey market," non-authorized seller. But, in so doing, there is the apt old adage: "You get what you pay for." The quality will range from "good" to "viewable" at best. BUT, nearly all Chan films are available via commercially made, authorized sets that have been released over the past ten years. Here are the sets and the films they contain:

From 20th Century-Fox:

"Warner Oland Oland is Charlie Chan" Volume 1 -
"CC in London," "CC in Paris," "CC in Egypt," "CC in Shanghai," "Eran Trece" (the Spanish Language version of the "lost" "CC Carries On," plus special feature extras.

"Warner Oland is Charlie Chan" Volume 2 -
"CC at the Circus," "CC at the Race Track," "CC at the Opera," "CC at the Olympics," plus special feature extras.

"Warner Oland is Charlie Chan" Volume 3 -
"The Black Camel," "CC on Broadway," "CC at Monte Carlo," "CC's Secret," "Behind That Curtain" (a "proto-Chan" movie from 1929 with EL Park as Charlie Chan as a minor character), plus special feature extras.

"Charlie Chan" Volume 4 Starring Sidney Toler -
"CC in Honolulu," "CC in Reno," "CC at Treasure Island," "CC in City in Darkness," plus special feature extras.

"Charlie Chan" Volume 5 Starring Sidney Toler -
"CC's Murder Cruise," "CC in Panama," "Murder Over New York," "CC at the Wax Museum," "Dead Men Tell," "CC in Rio," "Castle in the Desert," "Charlie Chan", plus special feature extras.

From MGM Home Entertainment:

"The Charlie Chan Chanthology" -
"CC in the Secret Service," "The Chinese Cat," "Meeting at Midnight" (AKA: "Black Magic"), "The Jade Mask," "The Shanghai Cobra," and "The Scarlet Clue."

From TCM/Warner Home Video:

"TCM Spotlight: Charlie Chan Collection" -

"Dark Alibi," Dangerous Money," "The Trap," and "The Chinese Ring."

From Warner Brothers:

"Charlie Chan Collection" -

"Shadows Over Chinatown," "Docks of New Orleans," "The Shanghai Chest," and "The Golden Eye."

There are three Chan movies from Monogram Pictures that have yet to be commercially released:

"The Red Dragon," "The Feathered Serpent," and "The Sky Dragon."

The rights to these are held by Warner Brothers, but the problem in their being released lies in the extreme difficulty in locating suitable prints from which to produce a visually acceptable product without requiring extensive - and expensive - restoration. Sadly, the only way presently to obtain these three is through the above-noted "grey market" sellers who dot the Internet landscape.

All of the authorized sets that I have presented above can be found across the Internet, including Amazon and eBay.

I hope that this has helped you, and, happy hunting!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick