Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Non-Oland/Toler Chan films

Sorry for coming in like this from left field, but some of you may be interested. I know this website is concentrated in the main on the Oland/Toler features, but for anyone interested in a few of the more "oddball" items in the filmography... Coverage of "The Chinese Parrot" and "Eran Trece" may be found in "Up from the Vault" (McFarland, 2004), and "The House without a Key" will be covered in its companion volume, "Down from the Attic" (McFarland), due out later this year.

Re: Non-Oland/Toler Chan films

John, Aloha from down the road (Cleveland). I see you're a well published author with at least 4 other books on the movies. I'm not a movie aficionado, but more of a bookworm. And among other mysteries I concentrate on the Chan novels, or I should say Biggers' books. I wondered if you might have read "Making the Detective Story American, Biggers, Van Dine, & Hammett and the Turning Point of the Genre, 1925-1930", by J.K. Van Dover? I bought it specifically after reading a review somewhere that called it "The closest thing to a Biggers' biography!" However, I didn't find that to be the case (in my humble opinion). Still, a pretty good read, although definitely more of a technical nature than for pleasure. Gonna have to pick up a copy of you book for sure to see what you have to say about the Chan flicks. Thanks for the heads up. Lou

Re: Non-Oland/Toler Chan films

Hello, Mr. Soister!

Thank you for sharing this information regarding your two books! These will be on my list of future purchases. While we devote much time to the Charlie Chan films of Warner Oland, Sidney Toler...and Roland Winters, along with the 1957 TV crime drama starring J. Carrol Naish, the "other" Charlie Chan movies are noted at our site at http://www.charliechan.info/id179.html. Please take a look when you have a moment! In my personal Chan collection I have a copy of an original script for "The House Without A Key."

Again, thank you!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick