Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks for welcome, hoping Charlie goes to Hollywood

Honored Hosts,
And especial greet-things to Louis, HI Steve (Hi, Steve!) and Rush,
it was just minutes ago i found that in recent days there'd been replies to my first post, about my first time with the Chan Clan. I'm so computer-illiterate (and not good with an abacus, either) that even when i came to the site because my own email had received notices there was something wonderful for me, i couldn't put together the clues. Lucky i'm not a real detective! By coincidence, when i'd gone to surf the site to bulk up for the next movie, i stumbled to where you three guys had greeted me and most valuably told me things about yourselves and each other. On my own i'm going to be dealing with each reference and compliment you gave to the site and the personae, and i expect it to be a guilty pleasure. The one honorable mention of one of you about another that i'll speak of now is Steve's Charlie Chan Tour. The very idea calls me to the islands, but mundane matters (my secret formula, hidden treasure, secret airplane, hidden bomb, secret plans, hidden princess, the usual stuff) keep me so bound to my secret hidden home i think it's more likely a friend or relative may get to Hono and lulu before me. My insistence will break their resistance. Be warned, Steve, & i'll send a formal warning too. Not one of those 12/6/1941 warnings, a real one that'll give you time to sweep the streets & vacuum the trees.
What brought me to the Family Home was a check on the screening time for Monday, lest Daylight Time confuse---i'll be here with two bags of popcorn cuz Charlie at the Circus is a favorite of mine (even as they're all favorites)---
but what held me & will be bringing me back with interest was the MOVIE SCRIPT. You-all don't know i'm a fan of the smallest parts of history on the premise that the big guys (& gals) will take care of its big parts, & that as a lover of might-have-beens i'm a sucker for anybody's alternate history. A NEW Charlie Chan movie?! I'm only upset i didn't think of it myself; and, wishing it coulda been in front of me i tried to imagine, imagine, imagine---my roommates heard me howling earlier and for the health benefits of laughter alone i intend to read the whole thing closely. The very idea: Charlie Chan at College---it was begging to be written, and i thank those of you who did.
In my own description i mentioned that i stream old time radio in order to keep the atmosphere in my home, as my friends well know, "at a comfortable 1950 or below". The possibility of a latter-day Chan flick is one of few things that would bring me outside voluntarily. As i love the apocryphal as much of the script authors plainly do, i can imagine myself climbing into my 2003 DeSoto, pulling up at a theater with searchlight beams crisscrossing its sky above, lighting a Havana cigar, strolling into the lobby with a moll on one arm and a mastiff on the other, an usher with epaulets tearing my tickets in half and an usherette guiding all three of us to a seat down in front where we wait the curtains' parting for Keye Luke---age 99 and looking FABULOUS---to introduce the film, CHARLIE CHAN AT COLLEGE---and its writers, all there to take a bow. You know who you are, guys, & having imagined THAT i hope you're warmed to also imagine THIS.
I don't know though if anybody's ready for Lucy Liu as Iris Wong.
Thanks for welcoming me, you are too kind y'all. See you At The Circus!

Humble appreciation,
Angel
Apprentice Assistant Detective

Re: Thanks for welcome, hoping Charlie goes to Hollywood

Hello, Angel!

Sorry about the late reply...

Well, I can hardly know where to jump in on your lengthy post! I'll simply say, I enjoy your rich, vivid imagination! Also, I am happy that you enjoyed our group-written script for "Charlie Chan at College." It was completed in 2002, I believe, and, perhaps we will attempt another someday! Actually, another, "Charlie Chan's Toughest Case," DID see its beginnings, but fizzled out on us!

Speaking of Lucy Liu, you may recall that some years ago she had thoughts of making a "new" "Charlie Chan" movie, where she would play Chan's granddaughter. I actually sent a letter to her through her agent with my suggestions on how this could really tie in with the Chan series of the past. of course, I never heard anything, and the project was ultimately scrapped. possibly for the better, as my faith in modern Hollywood is shaky at best!

Take care, thank you, and see you at "Charlie Chan at the Race Track."

Sincerely,
Rush