Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hollywood Casting Whites as Asians

Printed in Monday's edition of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser is an article entitled "Hollywood Should Stop Casting Whites as Asians", a commentary written by Marc Bernardin. Mr. Bernardin's commentary was originally published in the Los Angeles Times as "Hollywood's Glaring Problem: White Actors Playing Asian Characters". It was published on April 18th of this year.

The article mentioned two new trailers for two new films, "Doctor Strange" (Walt Disney Studios) and "Ghost in the Shell" (Paramount Pictures). Both of these films feature white actors playing parts that were originally Asian character in their original sources (book, comic books, etc.). The names of the Asian characters have been changed to American-type names. The films were produced in the USA.

The article includes a listing of 'Old Hollywood' actors that have played Asian characters. "As far back as 1915 -- when Mary Pickford starred in 'Madame Butterfly' -- producers and directors have had no problem casting white actors and actresses as people of color, John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Quinn, Boris Karloff, Fred Astaire, Marlon Brando, Alec Guinness, Mickey Rooney, Joel Grey, Linda Hunt, Max von Sydow, Peter Sellers, David Carradine, Mike Myers -- and many, many others -- have played characters of Asian descent."

There is no mention of Charlie Chan or of the Caucasian actors that played him.

As the former projectionist employed by the Hawaii International Film Festival, I projected many films (1995-1999) from China, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines. Due to the condition of the film prints, it was my job to inspect and watch all these films. In viewing these films, I have no memory of American actors appearing in any of the foreign-produced films that I projected. Mr. Bernardin, why are there no white actors in foreign-made films?

The answer to Mr. Bernardin's criticism of Hollywood film-makes, and my own question, is this: Who is your target audience? Who are you making the films for? I don't believe that foreign film-makers are making films for a USA audience. I believe that foreign film-makers are making their films for the people of their respective counties.

At your convenience, you may wish to read this interesting article. If so, just google "Marc Bernardin white actors playing Asian characters". It should come up. Perhaps this article was published in your local newspaper recently.

Re: Hollywood Casting Whites as Asians

Steve, thank you. Good article. And that's a good point about the foreign film makers: That they're not concerned with casting Caucasians in lead roles of their films. Still, in my experience those films tend to be location specific, no. I mean, the Italians don't make too many films about segregation and bigotry in the deep south.

But, aside from that something you said is troubling me. So your saying that David Carradine is NOT Asian? Are you kidding me...Grasshopper? The guy who finally took the pebble from Key Luke's hand? Well thanks for spoiling my day, my year, my life! Sheesh! Lou

Re: Hollywood Casting Whites as Asians

Aloha, Steve!

Thank you for sharing this article. I am saddened to see how deeply the worm political correctness has bored into our society. To paraphrase, the great Keye Luke, who hit such criticism head-on by commenting something to the effect: "It's called ACTING!" I had a friend who was a film teacher at a local college in San Diego who, around 20 years ago, commented that the character portrayed by Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia" should have been played by a gay actor! AH! But, of course, we are enlightened today! Sadly, I can only feel that this will most probably continue to expand in scope until actors (and all of us) will be painted into a proverbial corner.

Sincerely,
Rush