Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Night Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island."

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “Father who depends on son is happy or foolish according to son.”

THANK YOU SO MUCH GS, Matt, and others, for running the show in my 99% absence last week! You are forever engraved on the golden tablets housed within my most grateful heart…

Our CHARLIE CHAN FILM TOUR 2016 reached a venerable stop on our year-long journey. This week we share perhaps the greatest adventure in the Charlie Chan film series: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island.” This picture takes us to Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay, the site of the 1939 West Coast World’s Fair! Chan and number Two son, Jimmy find themselves involved in a complex murder case even before their arrival from Honolulu!
As is out new custom, arriving at 7:30 Eastern Time, we will be sharing, before our featured presentation, a vintage Charlie Chan radio show. This time it will be “The Landini Murder Case” (Episode 38) which can be found on the Internet at this address: http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/crime/charlie-chan/charlie-chan-38-landini

OUR PRESENTATIONS:
1. “The Landini Murder Case” (Episode 38; 1936; Runtime: 15:01)
2. “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island” (1939; Runtime: 72 minutes)

SUMMARIES:
“The Landini Murder Case” – Based on the novel “Keeper of the Keys,” by Earl Derr Biggers, Inspector Chan continues his investigation of the Landini murder with several interrogations. The bullet was fired from above, Ireland, the pilot comes under suspicion.

“Charlie Chan at Treasure Island” – On a flight from Honolulu to San Francisco, Paul Essex, a novelist friend of Charlie Chan, appears to have committed suicide. At the Golden Gate International Exposition, held on San Francisco Bay's Treasure Island, Chan, with Number Two Son, Jimmy, at his side, investigates a strange mystic called Dr. Zodiac who, the detective learns, blackmails clients.

NOTES: According to ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news items and production charts, John Carradine and Joyce Compton were to be included in the cast of this film, but their participation in the completed picture is doubtful. According to Kay Linaker, Gerald Mohr was the voice of Dr. Zodiac. An April 19, 1939 ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news item refers to the film as "Charlie Chan at the World's Fair." The Golden Gate International Exposition, held on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay February 1939 to October 1940, provided the backdrop for some of the picture's action.

NEW TIME: We begin with arrivals and greetings at 7:30 EASTERN TIME. Then, we share our radio program which will be followed at exactly 8:15 when we roll our featured movie: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island.”

LOCATION: Our Charlie Chan Family Chat Room, which is accessed at http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html.

IF YOU LACK A COPY OF OUR FILM: Often our features can be found available online. Happily, tonight’s feature IS presently available online at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZAxmucDnKg

PLEASE have an enjoyable Monday, and let’s plan to gather together once again at our Chat Room for another evening of fun and discussion as we share this week’s feature film, “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island.”

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Night Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island."

Dear Rush, and all at Charlie Chan Family Home,
Tried to join you for this occasion. Something called Para-Chat informed me that if I clicked to link-up I'd be leaving my PC "open and unsecure", or words to that effect, so I erred on the side of caution. I'd still like to drop-in though, and would be grateful for any advice.
Best wishes, Tom