Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Final 3 Chan Monograms coming to DVD at long last

It's been a long time since my schedule allowed me to participate on the Monday night chats - you all are very much missed and I hope and trust all is well with each and every one of you. Rush, that goes double for you and your family. Your contributions to the cause are immeasurable!

I came across some news this week: the final 3 Monogram Chans are scheduled to be released on DVD by the Warner Archive collection possibly as early as next month. Unlike the previous Monogram releases these will not be retail product but MOD (Manufactured on Demand) and available directly from the Warner Archive website.

More to come when they make the official announcement.

Great news as, at long last, ALL the existing Fox and Monogram Chans will be available in legal, official, DVD releases!

Steve

Re: Final 3 Chan Monograms coming to DVD at long last

Here is the information that I received regarding the release of the final three Charlie Chan Monograms movies:

"The last three Chans will be available the first week of June. They are SD DVD.

"There will be two ways these discs will made - some will be "pressed" like a retail DVD, but Amazon will burn their own so, contrary to what is said below, there will be MOD product.

"We mastered these titles in HD and they look better than anyone has seen them look in decades, but RED DRAGON (which was supposed to be in Vol. 1 but couldn’t be completed in time) was taken from 35mm and 16mm elements, as that is all that survived, so we did the best we could with that."

So, Steve, the good news that you came across has been verified!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Final 3 Chan Monograms coming to DVD at long last

Thank you, Rush for the additional information and confirmation. This sounds like a solid release considering the challenges that I'm sure Warner had in making this happen.

It is unfortunate that a full high quality 35mm print of Red Dragon doesn't survive but I'm sure this will be more than adequate.

My order will go in as soon as the Warner Archive link goes up at their website (that will guarantee a pressed copy vs a burned one).

Steve