Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection"

Rush, just for Grins-n-Giggles I went to Youtube and searched on "The Feathered Serpent." I found three posts already, 3-days, 4-days, & 7 hours ago! However, none of the streams work and all state that it'll be available for viewing today (June 5th at 2AM). Great news, thanks for letting us know. Lou

Only $18.95 "Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection"

At the Oldies.com website, you can order the "Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection" for only $18.95. For you folks living on the mainland, please check for free shipping. Order now!!!

Re: "Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection"

I received my package from WB Shop on Friday and they were indeed pressed ("real") DVDs vs DVD-R.

The prints of the two Winters films were spectacular with virtually no blemishes! These either came from the original negatives or a first generation print.

Red Dragon definitely had its challenging moments as evidenced by the usage of 16mm in spots. Of all the existing Chans, this is probably the worst looking on DVD. However it is also an upgrade from what I had before and the 35mm sections are decent.

My only disappointment with this release is the lack of English subtitles. Although the sound is clear without any pops, trying to understand the heavy fake Mexican accents can be a challenge and Winters has a tendency to semi-slur his words at times.

The biggest surprise of the set is how enjoyable Sky Dragon was now. My previous copy was a well worn 16mm copy and seeing it in clear 35mm is like seeing it for the first time. Although the guilty person is fairly obvious the story is engaging and a better than usual cast for a Monogram is fun to watch. Keye Luke, who had no chemistry with Winters in Feathered Serpent, seems more at ease here.