Forum on Organic Aquaculture

We thought that this hotly-debated topic would benefit from a place on the web - a place to hear all sides of this important and quickly-expanding aspect of food provision.

NO COMMERCIAL POSTS

Forum on Organic Aquaculture
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: organic hydroponics

HI Tilly

Sorry for the delay in posting my response; I wrote one ages ago and posted it, but it seems it must not have loaded properly.

Yes I was aware the federal Department of Fisheries is working with industry stakeholders to develop species specific organic aquaculture standards for Canada.

And aquatic plants that are rooted in the ocean floor such as kelp are classified as ‘terrestrial’ life forms and will need to meet the Canada Organic Standard for crops. Up to 2009 to the best of my knowledge US standards have been used to certify kelp operators.

Fish effluent is not specifically listed in the Permitted Substance List, but there is allowance for “animal, animal products and by-products (including fishery)” to be used as compost feedstock; and the entry for “Fish Farm Waste” stipulates that it is allowed but it “shall be composted”. The listing for Fish Products is quite specific and states “Natural substances or those derived from natural substances without the addition of ethoxyquin or other chemically synthesized substances or chemical treatment except that liquid fish products as soil and plant amendments may be pH adjusted with (in preferential order) organic vinegar, organic citric acid, phosphoric acid or sulphuric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to reach pH 3.5. Shall not contain synthetic preservatives or fertilizing substances not listed in this Standard.”

From this I think we can extrapolate that straight fish effluent itself has not been approved for use, but it could be used to make compost acceptable on organic farms; that is if the compost made meets the detailed criteria laid out in the standard.

Hope this answers some of your questions
Rochelle