Return to Website

Bravenet Web Forum

RAF Finningley Website Notice Board

Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LES MORRIS. Switchboard operator.

SAD TO INFORM YOU ALL OF THE DEATH OF LES MORRIS WHO WAS A PBX OPERATOR AT FINNINGLEY UNTIL HIS RETIREMENT IN 1979.
LES WAS 89 YEARS OLD AND ALTHOUGH BLIND SINCE HIS 30s HAD OVER 30 YEARS SERVICE WITH THE RAF BOTH AT RAF DONCASTER AND FINNINGLEY.

Re: LES MORRIS. Switchboard operator.

Sorry to hear about Les, What a nice guy he was, iff you used the telephone while he was on duty he recognised you voice very quickly. I worked in the 230 OCU Ground School in the sixties leaving in 1965 returned to Air Nav Wing in 1972 first time I used the phone Les asked if it was me speaking then welcomed back to Finningley. I left in 1976 and met Les at a function many years later said 'Hello Les' he was quiet for a few seconds then replied 'Are you back at Finningley Mal'. What a man what a memory. Is his wife still alive? Remember the best fish and chips in Donny down at Gatehouse but didn't they go to Canada?

I WAS AT FINNINGLEY 1973-79, I WAS IN CONTACT WITH LES DAILY, WEEKENDS EXCEPTED, HE WAS TRULLY A GREAT MAN. LIFE GOES ON BUT SUDDENLY A NAME WILL COME UP FROM THE PAST, LES`S NAME HIT LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.

I WAS AT FINNINGLEY 1973-79, I WAS IN CONTACT WITH LES DAILY, WEEKENDS EXCEPTED, HE WAS TRULLY A GREAT MAN. LIFE GOES ON BUT SUDDENLY A NAME WILL COME UP FROM THE PAST, LES`S NAME HIT LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.

I was posted to Finningley in 1967 working in SHQ, Station Library, and finally onto 230 OCU (Admin). I remember Les very well. He seemed to know everyones names. What a great man he was and what a memory. I am sure he will be remembered by ALL. God Bless Les.

I remember Les Morris very well as I was in the tellicommunications in the Finningley SHQ & Operations block 1957 -1959. he was a great chap and a wonderful memory or voices, loved to watch him playing dominos at the "Eagle & child" pub, a well respected member of RAF finningley

Aldridge Curtis

Your e-mail mdcurtis@aapt.net.au