KLETSHOEKIE

WAAR JY ENIGE ONDERWERP KAN BEGIN, of repliek kan lewer op iets wat reeds hier staan...Kom, gesels saam!

ONSDORP se DEBAT en BRIEWE LAPA
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Comments on ACCSA letter

G’day
A South African friend forwarded me the link to your ever growing tome. I printed it out and read it last night (slowly because the “taal” is a bit rusty).

As I read it, I found myself consumed by a mixture of heartache, anger and bewilderment and so, despite having probably forfeited the right of comment by taking the “chicken run” two decades ago, I felt compelled to add my tuppeny ha’penny’s worth.

Firstly, this is not just an Afrikaner thing. I suppose that one of the naivest surprises for me, coming to the other side of the world from apartheid South Africa, was to find expats of all hues and persuasions who had emigrated for the precise same reasons as me. No matter how great their love for the land of their birth, the future of their children had to take precedence. If we are to learn anything from this time, it is to seek out those who share our beliefs, no matter where they are to be found.

Secondly, what has happened to the spirit of the people? My history tells me of a doggedly determined people at the tip of Africa (and let us include all of the roots that go to make up the South African gene pool).

While there were pockets of “bitter enders” still fighting the immorality of the Boer War even when I left, those who were pragmatic quickly learned to play by the rules of the conqueror. They learned to speak better English that the English. They took the jobs that nobody else wanted in the Civil Service, did them well, got promoted and then employed more of their brethren. They became the teachers and thereby influenced the young. They built the churches and made them central to daily life. They systematically worked to win their country back using the new rules. It didn’t happen overnight.

I am waiting to see that new spirit arise. I do not know what the new rules are, but I have faith in the fine men and women who have stayed behind and I know that they will eventually crack the system. With courage and faith they will eventually prevail. Right now however, I read of division and despair. Eendrag maak mag.

Regards from New Zealand

Re: Comments on ACCSA letter

Hierdie brief is in opvolg tot die OPE BESPREKINGS brief van BRIAN aan die ACCSA
ontvang, dit is reeds na die "regte" plekkie op die forum verskuif, en ek sal dit weldra hier verwyder...maar dis sooooo lekker om 'n NUWE touleier te sien verskyn ek verlustig my nog eers daaraan..!