Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: "Depression"

I have questioned my faith in God also during depressive episodes...not so much during this episode, but a lot during my last episode.

I agree that in spite of feelings, we have to choose (when we can) and to trust and have faith in God in spite of all the 'messed up' feelings that come with this illness.

I like the comparison, Andrea, to physical paralysis...except with the illness we can become "mentally paralysed"...but I still pray in faith for healing, either on this earth (through divine healing or with the help of doctors, counselors, etc.) or in heaven. That is the hope that we have. One day we will be healed! I can't wait for this day, whenever it may be! I know that the illness can warp even God's words so that words in the Bible condemn us in situations such words were never meant to condemn us (this happened to me during my last bout of depression...when I interpreted God's word out of proper context in a negative/focusing on death way) but I too cling to God's promise that He will never leave us or forsake us...and just tonight I was wondering what provision God makes for those Christians who lose control over their thoughts and minds; I don't know what this provision is, but I do know that nothing can seperate us from God's love...
and I know that should I have another bout, or should my illness get worse, that God will be right there beside me in the midst of it, even if I do not feel Him or hear Him.

I am so thankful for this site. Born Again, it is good to hear from you. Even before I commented for the first time on this site, your words from past posts encouraged me so much when I first found this site after I entered into this current bout of depression. I pray for God to be your strength and your portion and your everything as you once again battle this illness. I pray for Him to give you direction and to speak into your life in a way that you can understand in your current state, even if it is not the way that God "traditionally" 'speaks' to people...

May God give us all perseverance as we live out this trial...so that even by mere choosing to live we give glory to God by our very being His creatures!

Re: Re: Re: "Depression"

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for your reply to my post. I can remember so many times as a new Christain, talking to The Lord and He would answer me thru His Word or thru my thoughts. It's not like that anymore and I miss Him talking to me in this way. His Word would come alive and minister to my heart, He lifted up my head, gave me courage and strength and hope.

God Bless you both,
Thanks again,
Born Again(Butterfly)

Re: "Depression" Groups

Hi to everyone!

I am new to this site. I found it about 6 weeks ago, but it seem like a dead link. I was looking at another site, but it seems to be a lot of young people not understanding clinical depression or bipolar.

You three sound like a mature group of ladies, I am so glad I did not give up on this message board, today I was going to delete from my bookmarks, but said to my self go check one more time.

Bornagain - I know just where you are coming from. You are in the valley of shadow of death but what does Psalms 23 say, I shall fear no evil. I like to call them desert periods in my life, I am so dry and just want God's living water to refresh me once again. I have gone through these periods often through my struggle of depression.

I just want to encourage you to keep seeking Him. Listen to worship music, do not give up on reading God's word. I totally understanding missing church service, but don't make it a habit, that is just what the devil wants. I encourage you to find a church who has support groups or cell groups or bible study. Hopefully the church would have a group on recovery or something in your needs area.

I know what you are thinking, this person does not understand I do not want to be around people or talk about me. I do know. I am struggling right now. I am doing what I am suggesting. I am not in a group, because I can not be where I am worshiping at the moment. See I am a missionary wife, we don't have people interested in a cell group or support group at the moment. I pray one day there will be people.

I want to share with you also that there were people in the Bible who were depressed. God used them and worked among their depression. He is amidst you, don't believe the lies of the enemy. He wants you to think God has left you and you are not going to heaven.

Well I have written a chapter, sorry. I just believed I needed to share this. We are going to get through this valley shadow of Death, for the Lord is our Shepherd! Let's keep posting and sharing our thoughts with one another. I need you. This is how God helps us, through others. May God strengthen you all today!

Re: Re: Re: "Depression" Groups

I agree...support from fellow Christians (at church, small group, Bible study group, or just friends) is really important. For me, support from Christian friends at church has made such a difference.

I've never been open at a church before and am fortunate to have fellow Christian friends at my current church who I can be open with; some of these people also struggle with depression as well as other chronic illness...and/or work in the medical field.

I am so thankful for this support, and Born Again and Andrea, I pray for God to prepare the hearts of those fellow Christians "off site" he wants you to share with and be transparent with, in addition to those on this site...I pray this also for you, Sarita!

Re: Re: Re: "Depression" Groups

andrea what medicine are you on and is it for depression. i have been on meds that don't really seem to work for me. email me if you want. april

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

One of the most terrible types of illness is OCD and the can be coupled with depression.

OCD causes unwanted thoughts that you cannot turn off in you head and this makes one even more depressed. I am so very lucky that I have a medicine that works for me the funny thing is I feel strongly that if there was a support group at my local church many people would find so much help. Lets pray for your group and my group to start.

Lord please help the church body we are attending see that a group like this would help hurting people and allow them to stop isolating themselves and come to chruch to seek peace and allow that peace to let it enter their hearts. Amen Let me know if your group starts!!!

Re: Re: "Depression" Groups

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your respones, I really appreciate all of you. This site used to be quite active at one time. Maybe we can get it going again. I'll continue to post as I can.

Born Again (Butterfly)