Return to Website

Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ways to treat anxiety/ depression

I usually like to do things that are all natural, supplements etc. The doctor says I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I keep wondering if I have an adrenal burnout (anyone hear of this). I am afriad to take the medicine prescribed as Activan can be hard to come off of, and they do not recommend it longterm. I am wondering if I should go see this more alternative doc who tests the adrenal stuff or if I should just go on the meds (activan and lexipro).

Re: ways to treat anxiety/ depression

Hi Jill,
No, I have never heard of adrenal burnout.
If you feel more comfortable going to a naturopath first, then do that. You do what's good for you.
There are some great naturopaths out there and they can do some wonderful things. But if that doesn't work, then you possibly should go on medication.
When I first got my depression, it got so bad, I couldn't even get out of bed. I was desperate. I took Zoloft and after 4 weeks, I felt like my old self again. I had anxiety attacks too and I took ativan. The anxiety eventually subsided.

Jill, none of us want to get addicted on anything. My Dr said that as long as your body needs something and you use the medication according to how it's prescribed, addiction is less likely. It's when we abuse drugs and take them when we shouldn't that we get so easily addicted.
As with any drug. If you ween yourself off slowly and give your body time to adjust, you won't have a problem. Don't be afraid of the meds they are there to help, not to harm. Some people don't have severe depression only mild. Some people can handle mild depression without drugs. Everyone is different.
I hope I have helped.
I'll be praying for you
In Christ
laura

Adrenal gland exhaustion

Hi Jill,
Yes, I have heard of adrenal gland exhaustion and was diagnosed with it three years ago. There is a doctor who wrote a book on his research and created supplemental formulas which have been a big help. You can go to his website at adrenalfatigue.org
It has all kinds of info and the book was very helpful.
My md practises alternative health along with meds and nutrition. After doing blood tests to determine that it was not full blown Addison disease, I am following a regime that has been a long road to recovery from severe adrenal burnout for me. But I am reminded that it didn't take over night to get this way so it won't be an overnight maricle to develop a new lifestyle to recoop what I lost.