Return to Website

Christian's With Depression Message Board

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com 

Christian's With Depression Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: ditched all friends (this is long but please hear me out)

Thank you for you welcome and kind reply.

I am part of a wonderful simple church here where i live and am part of a lovely bible study group who know about me and support me.

I am finding forgiveness very hard to grasp, as to me to forgive someone you are giving in and realising what they did was right. I can never do that, i dont understand the concept of say if someone was raped (i was not) but as an example i dont understand how they can forgive there attacker. I dont understand the concept of forgiveness is it like letting go and accepting what happened to you. This is one of my questions i have never felt right in asking cos its like asking how to walk.

thank you
Lisa

Re: Re: Re: ditched all friends (this is long but please hear me out)

Dear Lisa,
Oh, I am glad you are in a good fellowship. That is so important to all of us.

As far as forgiveness is concerned, it has nothing to do with condoning a persons sin. It has more to do with our spiritual condition. If we don't forgive, we have a tendency to harbor bitterness and resentment in our heart towards the offender. It cripples our walk with the Lord and it can also be a great hindrance in our relationship. Forgiving someone NEVER says that what they did was right.
God will judge them and vengeance is His (Rom 12:19-21)
If they ask for forgiveness then we are commanded to forgive, but if they don't, then we still must not harbor any bitter feelings. It is not an easy thing to do but walking the narrow road and obeying Christ is difficult at times.
God can heal someone's heart if they are willing to let go of their anger and hatred. There are too many testimonies out there of Christians who have been terribly abused and tortured but God gave them a love and compassion for their enemies. Never limit God to what He can do.
When Christ was on the cross He said, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". That is the love of God. He had compassion on the very people who crucified Him. Who are we, not forgive those who have hurt us.
You just said it in your email"......the concept of forgiveness is like letting go and accepting what happened to you". That is absolutely correct. You accept what happens, let go and give it to the Lord.
When you do that, you are free to love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you and pray for those who persecute you (Matt 5:43-48).
God bless
laura