Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overgrown xc course -clarkes gardens

Just a heads up from training around the xc course on Saturdays-it's really overgrown and will probably need cutting back,especially the narrow sections/valley.
If anybody has a chainsaw and an hour free before the xc race.................

Re: Overgrown xc course -clarkes gardens

The gardening team usually do a cut back the Saturday before the race
Any Volunteers ?

We can have a chat this week at club (shock horror I will be there Tuesday). Last time I had a look at the lower path (just beyond the steps towards the stream) there were four or five fallen trees - will definitely need either a chainsaw or a fair amount of hacking, more than one person's worth of work anyway. This is a bit beyond what we've had to do in the past two or three years.

If we cannot clear it we can use an alternative course but it is a little boring so if we can clear up the path it will be ideal. I can come along to help cut back the brambles etc around the course but only have secateurs and a smallish saw (good enough to clear small branches say 2" max diameter but nothing bigger).

I am really sorry but I can't help this Saturday.

If our traditional route can't be used please be aware that there is no football taking place on Sunday mornings at the Simpson Ground this season.

It's hardly going to help create the most challenging Cross Country course and Simo will now doubt disapprove, but it is worth being aware that this extra area will be available

The alternative route essentially consists of 4 laps of the bottom field and top wooded area - you don't go right down the steps but continue to the end of the path and take a left towards the barrier and finish area.

It is not the most exciting of courses, also potentially a bit long considering it makes the race 6 miles and there will be people who may potentially be lapped twice.

I can get to the gardens this weekend, is anyone available to help me cut down the fallen trees?

I might be available sunday pm...
is it any good?

Nige,
you'd be surprised that where I come from, cross country races are ran in fields exactly like the simpsons ground, it would be 4-5 eight shapes of it and nothing more, a bit like Sefton park's euro trial, for example.
You Brits got me used to the "proper" cross country and I forgot how boring it could be still tough no doubt thought

I can get the groundsman to cut the grass too if you want mate; it'd help you feel more at home.

Sorry Cris, can't help tomorrow as I'm at the Nationals with the kids

I can help out at around 1400 hrs this afternoon, if we could get a team together, busy day tomorrow, i can help out through the week if that helps Christina.

All done, many thanks for the offers. A bit of a change to the course to keep us pretty much on the old path with a dive into the stream and possibly two crossings if the weather co-operates (looks a bit dry down there now).

See new course

Also you can come and try it out if you come to the headtorch run next Thursday.

Sorry I have been on holiday
I can give it a final tidy up the day before