Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: February 2024 Race Results and Reports

25th February
Sheeptracks
17.5 miles and 5,000ft plus ascent

2nd Lawrence Eccles 02:58:30

The weather gods were on my side as thick mist descended on the hills above Llangollen, near the horseshoe pass, before the race. I knew the route well so was pleased with the chilly pea soup conditions. The organiser played a trick on us all however! He set-up the start at the beginning of the wrong path for the race. He probably laughed a fair bit as we all ran off on the sound of the didgeridoo. When the path pulled left and levelled I got suspicious and me and the leader corrected. He, Joel Gomes, quickly retook the lead. I never saw him again (in the race).

Joel's race became somewhat legendary throughout the field as people came into the finish telling of sightings of Joel; often heading in the wrong direction. Soon after CP1 he had managed to double back on himself and get thoroughly confused. To his credit he finished over an hour behind the winner and got a wooden spoon for doing the most extra distance at 9km.

Sheeptracks is kind of a navigation event. The route is released a few months in advance. I had practiced sections and new it sufficiently well come race day that I never used my map or a compass. Post race there was food and drinks, at a price, in the warmth of the Ponderosa café. I also ate a few creme eggs compliments of the PLS Friday night quiz. Next year's race is rumoured to be on the infrequently visited moors near Denbigh.