Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
True Identity

The club is in fine fettle. Of late its members have been showing excellent form and have achieved success, both individual and collective, over a variety of distances, events and age groups. In the recent past members have been selected to represent the district and some to run for their country. Membership is as healthy as it's ever been with numbers in the region of three hundred. The club continues to fulfil its historic role of catering for runners of all levels of ability, now perhaps in a more structured way than ever before. It is an active, successful, friendly and inclusive club. The club is now in its twenty ninth year and still operates under its original name carefully chosen at the time and now well known locally and much further afield as, 'Penny Lane Striders'. In this month's Striding Report, according to an article presented by Nige, it has been suggested that the club might need a rebrand and a change of name. Everything Nige wrote against this idea I completely endorse. If there is indeed a serious proposal afoot the question that needs answering is, why?

Re: True Identity

Phil

I don't think a name change is on the cards. My article was purely a tongue-in-cheek rant about how some people in the club (they know who they are!) seem to think the fashion for gratuitous change that seems to have taken hold in certain other parts of society should be embraced by Penny Lane Striders.

The relays last weekend (and the achievements of runners from the club elsewhere) underlined the strength of the club and the commitment of its members to wear the famous black and white vest (still thankfully a team PLS logo-free zone) in competition.

Nige

Thanks for that Nige. I stand advised and relieved

Hi Phil
What Nige said. There's no name change in the air. Or at least I hope so, for no matter how much I dislike the Beatles Penny Lane Striders has quite a ring to it. When I see Team PLS I always think of Team Rocket in Pokemon.

For my part I'm just lazy so when I type I prefer to abbreviate to PLS because typing Penny Lane Striders makes me waste valuable nanoseconds I could be spending spouting about something else.

Eye of the - oh hang on, wrong post.

Cristina

I myself abbreviate to PLS regularly because to write Penny Lane Striders out in full every time wastes valuable time which could be spent out running (unlike just now when I am abusing work time!)

Right, where does one go to get a life?

You hate The Beatles???? Are you sure??? Oh dear...I think a fairy just died!

PLS? WTF? LMAO

As head of diversity morals and equality I can ensure fellow members that I will seek out the pls fifth column'
they will be taken to a small holding of mine in North Korea and taught the penny lane striders ethos until such time they can be re-introduced into society
fear not !!

Frank gave me some valuable advice earlier. I can continue to type PLS but then use search and replace to give it its proper name. The man is a genius.

Fairies steal children. One less to worry about. Mind you, according to Pete they also do the housework in our house. Oh crap. What have I done?

Thanks Cristina. It seems I didn't read between the lines. Anyway it got people thinking and talking on the relative importance of names and titles. Please give my best wishes to fellow members at Team Trotters Liverpool, formerly Penny Lane Striders, of happy memory.