Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Years Penny Lane Membership - an appreciation

A year ago I finished the Liverpool Half in 2:07 and realised that the odd excursion on top of my regular Parkruns was not going to improve my running so I decided to join a club.

There was never much thought about which club to join - Penny Lane members had been so supportive at Parkrun and seeing the black and white vests at various events made my mind up.

So 1 year on, I have met loads of people and made new friends and am a lot fitter. Times are not the be-all and end-all but they have improved enormously - today I ran 1:49:57 - 17 min faster than last year and 6 min faster than the 4 village a few weeks ago (despite the wind down the prom). I even managed an unofficial 10K PB (if the distance was accurate). I am a tantalising 28 seconds off my half marathon PB (set in 1991 and before a 20 year break from running), so there is still all to play for.

A massive THANK YOU to all Penny Lane Striders who have been so welcoming, lead runs, supported, shouted encouragement and welcomed my son Stephen (training with the club and intends to join the meeting after his 18th birthday. Another PB for him today 1:32:44).

So - 1 year on, any regrets? Not a chance! Ladies & Gentlemen - raise a glass to yourself, you are simply the best.

Re: First Years Penny Lane Membership - an appreciation

What a lovely post Mike.

Always good to hear people are enjoying being part of the club and how it's improved their running.

I hope you realise that you have to go 17 mins quicker at next years Liverpool Half now though?

Re: First Years Penny Lane Membership - an appreciation

It's been great to meet you too, Mike! Your progress is inspirational - hope to catch up one day, but I doubt it!