Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Runcorn XC Sunday 11 Jan

Race starts at 10am

Some info from Warrington RR:

The course, as in previous years is adjacent to Brookvale Sports Centre which has again been booked for use of showers and hospitality. There are good car parking facilities.

Brookvale Recreation Centre
Barnfield Avenue
Murdishaw
Runcorn
WA7 6EP

Access to the course is from the back of the sports centre via Stockham Lane (from 9:00 am) near the all weather pitches and access will be from the rear doors of the sports centre. Once on Stockham Lane, approximately 600m on the right (opposite Woodfalls Farm) is a footpath that leads into Town Park and the start/finish area of the course. Signs/marshal to the start of the course will be in place.

Runners are advised to allow sufficient time to get to the start (approx 10 minute walk) and toilet facilities are only at Brookvale Sports Centre.

Course suitable for spikes or studs. The course route is approximately 5 miles, over two laps with the minor additional change made at last year’s race to remain and will be marshalled at that point.

Runners are requested to remove muddy footwear before entering the sports centre

The Gymnasium has been booked where sandwiches and drinks will be provided (thanks Lymm Runners) while results are calculated and announced.

Hope to see a good turn out and fingers crossed for plenty of mud.

Re: Runcorn XC Sunday 11 Jan

More advice from Gill at Warrington RR:

Sorry folks but should have mentioned in my earlier email about the cross country race at Town Park, for those coming over Runcorn bridge, to be aware of exit slip road closure at Central expressway A533. There are diversions in place to loop traffic back onto the opposite carriageway going back to the Central expressway. Might be advisable warn club members to check their route for road works/possible diversions and allow “lost in Runcorn” time. There is also work going on at J12 M56 but not aware of any closures here.

Hi folks, i hate to be a pain but is there any chance of a lift for this one. I will make a contribution for travel costs.

Can we please post car sharing arrangements here? I will have space for 3 or 4.

I will be driving from Prescot.Happy to pick up from surrounding areas.

I am hoping to run this Sunday; providing of course that I can get a train from Crosby to Garston so early in the morning. Will there be any PLS intending meeting at Garston before heading off to Runcorn and if so, any chance of a lift ?

I hope to be at the club this Thursday and so could make any arrangements as necessary.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

meet me at Garston not later than 0815

I can pick you up from South parkway's station if it's any easier for you?

Ciao
Simo

Simo, thanks for getting back to me. just checked the train timetable & it is not looking too good so early on a Sunday morning. the first train to arrive @ Garston is 8.27. Is this too late for you ? If so, no problem.

If it is okay, let me know & I shall see you Sunday morning.

Thanks.

Paul.

Simo, is it okay if I meet you at garston at 0815, I'll be in my car,it's just that I am not sure how to get to this race.

Sounds like a plan boys!

See you Ian @0815 then we pick up you Paul @0827 from the station....
south parkway right?
please wear a pls badge of some sort coz I'm not very good at remembering faces!

still 1-2 seats available peeps, if you fancy car sharing, see us @0815 @garston sunday morning!

Ciao
Simo

There was a warning recently that a dog has died from a disease "Alabama Rot" picked up at Runcorn Town Park. If you're planning on taking your dog, maybe think again!

Just been on the phone to a very kind lady at halton's council.

She adviced to keep left on the runcorn bridge as to go the A533, then follow the diversion signs back to A533.
after that is the usual route to brookvale sports centre, postcode above.

As simple as that!

Ciao
Simo

Simo, I shall be at liverpool parkway (Garston) @ approx 8.27 & will probably be the only one there in running regalia, so you should have no difficulty spotting me.

In the meantime, now all I have to do is try and prise away my Kandias from my 18 year old... apparently, trail shoes are the must-have fashion footwear accessory this season !

Paul.

Trail shoes for a cross country?!!
you should be so lucky Paul!

I suggest you invest in a pair of spikes/studs shoes... or you'll run like bambi on ice!
and if we are all to believe this catastrophic forecast of gale force wind and rain battering the coast, then you'll need all the grip you can get!

saying that, get your kandias back asap, you'll need them for the MTCT!

Ciao
Simo

Cristina, if you still have space, can I come with you please?

I can make it but won't have the car.

Hi Simo, do you have any space in your car?

still places yes!
see you @0815 Billy

Ciao
Simo

Cheers Simo, see you 8.15 Sunday

Billy yes there is space. We'll see what we're up to Sunday morning once we're all together.

Simo wait for us. I'm picking up Lyndon and Oonagh then I'm coming to Garston for 08:15. I always get lost on the way to the sports centre in Runcorn so I'll need to follow you.

Don't leave without us!

Only just found the forum from the link on fb. Ill be coming tomorrow and will probably drive to. Ill see you all at 8.15

No problem,
I'll be waiting...

Ciao
Simo

Simo, hope you get this before you set off... The 7.01 & 7.31 buses did not turn up so I will not be able get to parkway. Sorry for any inconvenience. Have a good race.

Just about to let merseytravel have the full doyle " disgusted, Tunbridge Wells" treatment !

Paul

Excellent performance at today's cross country race at Runcorn. You made me very proud to be involved with xc and it was well worth hanging around for an eternity to get the results!

Martin Swensson won the race and was of course first home for the club, with Robert Barrows, Neil Bullock, Jonathan Hazell, Neil Kelly and Dale Higham making up the rest of the score counters. The lads were 2nd on the day and retain 1st place overall. No resting on our laurels though, because to ensure we win the competition we will need to win at least one other race out of the last two. This would be the first time the lads win the title so all hands to the pump for the next race!

Pamela Thurtle was first woman home with Michelle King and Kathryn Sharkey making up the rest of the score counters. The girls were 7th on the day and retain 5th place overall with a solid performance.

Brilliant job everyone who came and ran, you all made such a great effort and are a credit to Penny Lane. Can't wait to see Pinno's group photo.

Put 1st February in your diary - Beacon Park is calling!

Well done everyone, sorry I could not be there this morning to cheer you on.

Great effort everyone - well done

Great effort! Must be the second lowest score not to win from the lads today.

Well done Martin, hopefully you'll get the double of individual and team prize this year

roll on Beacon Park

Cheers cris thanks for all your efforts. after a good look at the standings it looks like we will need a first and second place in the last two to win it. It will be very tough when you consider the opposition but i beleive we can do it. fantatic performances today. with one or two back and me a bit fitter i hope we might be able to edge out a massively resurgent knowsley and lets not forget LRC who are still second. You can be sure I will be training extra hard between now and then

Think positive. It's going to be difficult but it can be done. Everyone and their dog at the next one please, you never know who's gonna have a good day and who's gonna have a bad one.

The world belongs to those who turn up.

Cracking race that was!
Who cares if we don't win?!
The fun of racing in icy cold feet, climb ski slopes and negotiating your way between stinging shrubs and muddy puddles, beats any sort of competition!

On another note...
Does anyone know who else was taking pics apart from our own Pinno?
And most importantly if they have put them on the web?
Thanks.

Ciao
Simo

Simo
Gill from Warrington RR has sent an email around all the XC contacts to see if anyone knows who else was taking pictures. Michael Charman was there as well so you can have a look on his site. Nobody has replied with any other names yet.

Grazie Cristina,

Ciao
Simo

As per my earlier post on the Jan results thread, it seems to me that the womens team results from Sunday are pretty wrong (I could wrong but I doubt it!). I've calculated that PLS should've been placed 6th rather than 7th, which could have an impact on final standings.

Published
1. Helsby, Lymm, Warrington - 26
2. Birkenhead, Pensby - 27
3. Spectrum - 29
4. Skem, Parbold - 35
5. Knowsley - 41
6. LRC - 45
7. PLS - 63
8. AWR - 107
9. Delamere - 143
10. Widnes - 165
11. St.Helens - 168

Actual
1. Pensby - 27 (6,10,11)
2. Spectrum - 29 (4,12,13)
3. Knowsley - 41 (2,17,22)
4. LRC - 45 (1,15,29)
5. Parbold - 54 (8,18,28)
6. PLS - 63 (19,20,24)
7. Helsby - 73 (21,25,27)
8. Lymm - 88 (3,33,52)
9. Skem, AWR - 107 (9,32,66)(34,35,38)
10. Delamere - 143 (36,43,64)
11. Widnes - 165 (45,55,65)
12. St.Helens - 168 (47,59,62)

Warrington incomplete team (7,16). Are Birkenhead and Pensby the same team, and do Helsby/Lymm/Warrington and Parbold/Skem combine their results, as their grouped together each time? Very strange.
Current standings should be 44pts not 43pts. Might be worth querying Steve Saunders on this (or telling me to pipe down!)

Neil,
I would ask the question to Steve.
We are all human, he might have made a mistake!

they are grouped together (to encourage participation)

Hi Neil
Some teams have long been allowed to pool their runners together because individually they argued they could never summon up enough runners to have a full set of counters.

Unfortunately this has created a situation where over time some of the joint teams are now attracting more runners, thereby creating much larger squads.

We agreed at the last meeting to observe how this went this year and make some decisions around groupings next year. I plan to suggest that we allow groupings of no more than 2 clubs and look at this year's results to exclude the club with the largest body of runners from the current combined squads. For some clubs there is no other way of actually being able to compete so the principle of "twinned" clubs is not the issue.

Sadly there is nothing wrong with the results as they stand. As for where that leaves us, we just need to get more from our not insubstantial pool of women capable of moving swiftly over short distances to turn up for the races. I am working on that.