Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meeting to set MTCT programme for 2015-16 season

Dear All,

I would like to propose a meeting of those interested in formulating the new 15 race multi-terrain programme for the coming season. The series of races are held through the whole year and cover a range of distances to, hopefully, give an interesting spread of running experiences different from the standard road races. They are an opportunity to enjoy running in its purest form, without worrying about pace or finishing time.

We will meet at 7pm on Sunday 25th January at the Penny Lane Wine Bar.

We can also discuss what we call the competition as there can be confusion with the Wirral Multi-terrain series in September. If we want to change the name we could make a proposal to the AGM.

See you there.

Andy

Re: Meeting to set MTCT programme for 2015-16 season

sounds good to me Andy!
I'll be there

Ciao

Hi Andy,

Nice to hear you're doing this. Sadly I can't make Sunday evening - although I'd like to.

My two-pennorth would be that I'd love to take part in the series and that what would make this easier for me would be accessibility - ie. enough races which are close enough to be done in a day, rather than a weekend away.

Clearly there are other considerations in the balance and some classics which are further away, but that's my contribution anyway!

Oonagh

ps. I've entered the Claire House Excalibur half-marathon on 30th May, so feel free to include that one!

Oonagh,
I guarantee you all of the MTCT races are reachable in one day!
Even MvH and RTT...
If I did it, so can you :-D

Ciao

Simo, didn't you stay over the night before for Man V Horse!? Did a Bear Grylls by washing in streams and hunting down your supper!

Very true neil :-D
And I'm not doing it again!
I rather drive there in the morning...much more relaxing!

Ciao

I think the races should be as flat and contain as much road as possible. lawrence will back me up on this. I did a flat ten miler which had about 20 feet of grass (the lytham st annes 10 i think) which was listed as MT. This should be the kind of race we should look for

See u there!

Don't know if I'll be able to make it so I'll write a few comments here just in case!

Agree with Oonagh, I think other than the classics the other races should be quite local, to draw the punters in as it were!

Can I propose a few races for discussion:
Cuerden Valley Badger Trail - big PLS turnout over the 3 race series
The Dream Trail 5 mile - Sutton so local, classic distance might attract a few others
A 10k MT perhaps if not already on the schedule? Again classic distance might attract the non-regulars. From the results some of our members did Wigan / Betws-y-Coed 10k trails.

Name change; Off-Road Championships (ORCs!)

How about including both the A & B Sandstone trail races (end of sept/early october)?
Would anyone have any objections?

I would agreed with Neil B suggestion to be call 'Off-Road Championship'
This will cover both fell and trail races on the fixtures and not to be confused with the Wirral Multi-Terrain in September

Agree with the name too but I can't agree with the choice of races...
It's supposed to be challenging, otherwise they're just road races with a bit of grass here and there!
MvH and RTT are a must, no doubt about it!

See you soon anyway, we'll draft a wonderful calendar as always
Ciao

I think Neil's suggestion of including the Cuerden Valley Badger Trail race is an excellent suggestion. I ran two of the three series last year as an "unattached" runner and found the course to be really interesting & challenging not to mention, very scenic... plus, they were beautiful, warm, balmy summer's evenings.

And yes, there was a really good PLS turnout out both races. For any PLS not done this race before, I would certainly suggest it as "one for the note-book".

Neil, you get my vote on this suggested new race.

Good suggestion Gill.