Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mike McCabe

Found out today that Mike has passed away. He'd been ill recently but I had no idea it was this serious. Always a friendly face at races.

He was known to many at Penny Lane, I just found out through facebook and thought I'd share it here for those of you who are not on it.

Re: Mike McCabe

Such sad news. Mike was a really lovely fella. He always had time for a little chat at races. He used to sign on the forum as "Pot Bellied" Mike. He moved away afew yrs ago, joined Newborough Nomads, became more slimline and started running faster! Didn't even know he'd been ill.

This is really really sad...

Mike was a permanent presence at parbold races, even when he didn't actually run...
He always had a word and a laugh for his former fellow pls...

We'll miss you very much Mike RIP

Simo

Saddened to read this. Mike was always cheerful and self-deprecating.

GUTTED
I had a lot of time for my pot bellied mate
anyone know when the funeral is/was

Marty,
If I heard correctly, he married his girlfriend just yesterday or maybe friday..
So I'd assume his funeral hasn't taken place yet, but I don't know the details of that I'm afraid...

Simo

Devastating Marty, not heard any details about farewell celebrations yet, will let you know. X

Taken too early, so so sad he was a lovely guy. Heart goes out to his wife, baby and family. Parbold Hill and cross country will not be the same without him.

Such sad news R.I.P.

Devastating news. I know Mike ran the Sandstone Trail last year so I tried to run with his spirit yesterday. I failed dismally to match his rosie faced jolliness but I did enjoy the run when I could see through my overly-moist eyes... Such a lovely man, he'll be sorely missed by anyone who knew him.

I've been in touch with Newburgh Nomads so will hopefully get funeral details passed on.

Message from Mike's sister including funeral details....

Firstly I would like to say thank you to everyone for all their kind words, stories and anicdotes about Michael. Although it's a terribly heart breaking time, I cannot express how much your thoughts and comments have really helped not only me, but probably everyone else as well, whether you are a friend, colleague or relative.

The "celebration of Michael's life" (as that what we are calling it), will take place as follows:

Friday 9th October at 12.30pm at St. Joseph's Church, 10 Willowbank Road, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH42 7JY.

Then onto Landican Crematorium at 1.30pm (Arrowe Park Road, Woodchurch, Wirral, CH49 5LW.

Everyone is welcome

I will confirm the venue for refreshments after this once I confirm the number of attendees.

Other bits:
Dresscode - COLOURFUL

Fiona is setting up a memory box at the church for Seren. We would really appreciate it if you could write down any thoughts, stories, experiences, anicdotes,bring any photos etc... that you would like to share about Michael so that Seren can share all your lovely memories of her dad as she grows up. She will also then learn about what an amazing man her dad is....Just siimply pop them in the box provided - it would really be appreciated.

Similarly, could I ask you to replicate or provide similar anicdotes and stories for me so that I can include as many as possible in my speech. I have seen some fantastic anicdotes and had some really wonderful emails about your thoughts and experiences with my brother, but if anyone has any more to add, i would really appreciate it if you could email me directly with them.

Finally - could you also email me directly by Saturday 3rd October if possible to confirm if you wish to attend so that I know how many people to cater for on the day etc...

Thanks again for all your emails and support at this time,

Cathy x