Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tribute to Andrew Stansfield

Hi everyone, with the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Run fast approaching, here are a few words from our Chairman, Mike Roxburgh, about Andrew for the benefit of newer members who never had the opportunity to meet him:

'With so many new members being welcomed to the club over the past couple of years since Andrews passing the Committee thought it would be a good idea to tell those of you who never had the pleasure of getting to know Andrew a little bit about him.
Andrew was a long standing Strider who gave a lot of his time to the club both in his role as Treasurer on the Committee whom he served with distinction for a number of years, and that of Coach and leader of the old Group 2 which was where so many of us got to know him.

With his trademark white running cap and his constant good natured banter in everyone's ears ( which usually in my case involved a general denigration of my running abilities ) Andrew was a well known and much respected member of Penny Lane Striders and the wider running community in general.

His sudden loss shocked us all and left a big hole in the club that remains, the sheer numbers of Striders who turned up to run Princes parkrun the weekend after his passing in his memory breaking what was then the course attendance record being testament to the high regard within which he was held by all.

The opportunity to remember Andrew by way of the Curry Run, an event he would always help organise and time keep for whilst sacrificing the opportunity to run in himself therefore seems a very appropriate way to do it.

So when you have finished your run and are back at the Police club enjoying a curry and a drink, raise a glass to Andrew Stansfield a man who was and will always remain a legend and a true Strider.'

Re: Tribute to Andrew Stansfield

I second that. Andrew was a dear friend to me and my family. We miss him very much.