Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pity post!

Hi all, just basically after some moral support and reassurance! I picked up an injury a couple of weeks before the Wirral half marathon in Sept that I was training for. It was my first half and I'd been training for months for it so I rested completely for a couple of weeks and was feeling much better so ran it. I got sub two hours which was my goal and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't have got through it without my lovely friend Carla hennessey (oh and eammons encouraging banter along the way!) anyway,the injury came back. I've not ran at all since and have been the docs who referred me for an x ray to rule out acute stress fracture. I've now been referred to physio mid Nov. It's really getting me down not running! Gp has ok'd me to do any low impact exercise but I'm just not into the gym at all. I'm debating going to see a private physio before NHS once as I just want to be doing anything I can to speed up my recovery. So at the risk of sounding dramatic, right now I feel like I will never be able to run again and it's driving me mad! Please tell me I will! Thanks, helen

Re: Pity post!

Helen,
You failed to mention what injury it is!
Anyhow, by the sound of it, you will definitely going back running!
And I bet sooner than you think...

Saying that, defo go to see a private physio, forget NHS...
You need to be assessed ASAP, and established what to do to speed up recovery.
Once that is out the way, focus on recovery and low impact sport and you will be springing like a gazelle before you know it!

I hope this helped.
Ciao
Simo

Gutted to hear about injury.

Have you thought of trying Aqua Running as a compromise. I have never done it myself but only heard good things.

As much as you like running, don't be scared of trying other things to maintain fitness whilst injured (obviously once you have been advised by a professional that it is safe to do something).

Just been to my first Pilates class in 5 years today and realised how tight lower back, flutes and hamstrings are which are causing weakness for me in my running.

Thanks guys for reassuring words. Not exactly sure what the injury is, I self diagnosed (via Dr Google!) a stress fracture as it feels like a bony pain and I cannot hop on that leg. It's inner lower shin bone/ankle on right leg. There's a definite swelling and just no improvement at all I'm recent weeks. Can anyone recommend a good private physio? Thanks again! Helen

Hello Helen,

You could try Janet Wiggins at aigburth physio who has treated quite a few runners over the years-includimg myself on numerous occasions.phone number 0151 494 2680

You could also ask mal balmer in the club for advice as he does sports massage.

I could also recommend Paula Dixon Village Physiotherapy in Woolton Village - very flexible with appoinments too and 10% off for being in PLS!!!

Thanks guys, will enquire with both.