Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Road Championship - Meeting to agree races for 2016-17 Season

Dear All,

We are drawing to the end of the current season and thoughts are now turning to the fixtures for the coming season starting in April. This year the number of races increases from 15 to 20 so the aim will be to get an interesting list of events that appeals to both the experienced off road runner and people wishing to try it for the first time. I am proposing that we get together to agree the programme on Sunday 21st February at 7:30pm in the Penny Lane Wine Bar.

If you cannot attend please feel free to nominate races on this thread. Events can be either off-road or multi-terrain.

This year will see the last Sandstone Trail Race organized by the Deeside Orienteering Club so for me this is a must. Hopefully it will continue to take place with one of the local running clubs taking on the organization of this event.

Re: Off Road Championship - Meeting to agree races for 2016-17 Season

This new formula is very intriguing : D
20 races... plenty of chances to put your paws on a new silverware next season folks!

It's still 5 races to count, right Andy?
Is there anywhere the new rules are accessible for reading?
I'd like to familiarise....
Thanks

Ciao
Simo

Simone,

the constitution has not been updated since the last AGM but the rules are

Multi-terrain Championship Rules
The Club will organise an annual Multi-terrain Championship, which will run in line with the club membership year. The Committee shall each year, in consultation with the Cross Country Manager, select a list of a minimum of ten and a maximum of twenty off-road races – the results from which form the basis of the Championship.

In each race, the first man from the Club scores 50 points, the second man scores 49 points, and so on. At the end of the season, the best 6 scores count for each club member.

The man with the highest total points score is declared the Multi-terrain Championship winner and the second man is the runner-up. The next highest veteran man (aged 40+ years) is declared the Men’s Vet winner, and the next veteran man is the Vet runner-up. The ladies score on a similar basis, with the Ladies Vet category being for ladies aged 35+ years.

Right a starter for 10 for the fixture list. Up for extensive modification over a few drinks.

Date
Rivington Pike 26/03/2016 N/A as now before 1/4/16
1. Radcliff AC MT 10k 17/04/2016 Not sure what this is like but...
2. Thurstaton MT Challenge May-16 A popular race
3. Harrock Hill Race (1/4) 25/05/2016 Again a local event
4. Robbie Websters Wobbler TBC Date seems to move (helsby are also planning a MT series so may have additional events)
5. Walsh Two Lads Fell Race 09/06/2016 Stopped last year by a fire
6. Man v Horse 11/06/2016 An old favourite for the long distance runners
7. Harrock Hill (2/4) 22/06/2016 Put a second one in
8. Bollington Nostagia 10/07/2016 Return of this well known
9. North Wales Half Marathon 30/07/2016 What is the verdict on this event from last year?
10. 2 Hill Forts 9m TBC
11. Race the Train - Tywyn 20/08/2016 I like it but do enough of us run?
12. Moel Famau 29/08/2016 Again popular
13. Wirral MT Series - Royden Park 06/09/2016 Popular
14. Wirral MT Series - Harrison Drive 20/09/2016 Popular
14. Sandstone Trail A Race 02/10/2016 last running by Deeside Orienteering
15. Sandstone Trail B Race 02/10/2016 as above
16. Standish Trail Race Oct-16 May clash with XC
17. Ashurst Beacon Jan-17 Good local race
18. Parbold Hill Race Feb-17 Permanent fixture
19. Roddlesworth Roller Mar-17 Again a good season ending race

So lets start the debate. What would you add and what would you remove.

Looks like you've done your homework Andy ;)
These are my answers/ suggestions:

1. Radcliff AC MT 10k - no, looks flat and boring around canal paths, and we've already got road racing for that ;)
2. Thurstaton MT Challenge - yes great
3. Harrock Hill Race (1/4) - yes
4. Robbie Websters Wobbler
5. Walsh Two Lads Fell Race
6. Man v Horse - yes to all three but they are all bound to fall in the same week, so something is gonna give...
7. Harrock Hill (2/4) - naah, we have one already
8. Bollington Nostagia - yes love it
9. North Wales Half marathon - defo no, ran it, it's rubbish, almost all tarmac, not worth it
10. 2 Hill Forts 9m TBC
11. Race the Train - yes
12. Moel Famau - yes
13. Royden Park - yes
14. Harrison drive - yes
14-15. Sandstone Trail - yes and yes
16. Standish Trail Race - yes, always on Saturday so perfect warm up for xc
17. Ashurst Beacon
18. Parbold Hill Race
19. Roddlesworth Roller - yes yes yes!

And my suggestions for addition/replacement:
20. Moel Siabod Jul 16 - 10k fell race with astonishing views without breaking the bank
21. Ceiriog canter Oct 16 - 11k gentle fell race outside Wrexham
22. Inov8 High cup nick Feb 17 - 10m with a few challenging bits but nothing major
22. Cloud nine Mar 17 - technically a fell race but lots of tarmac in it, so not that hard

If we're looking for a half marathon distance type event what about 2 lakes half (same organiser as 2 hill forts and is off road apparently)?
Can I put forward as a maybe the Betws-y-coed trail 10k. Challenging (first mile uphill), enjoyable, all off road, and great scenery. It did clash with XC this year though so that's why a maybe.
A couple of races I've been interested in but never got around to doing:
Push up the pincyn (involves a hay bail!)
Clwydian hills fell race

Anyone done these before?

The past couple of yrs there has been a 5 mile trail race around the "Dream" statue nr St. Helens. Last yr it was on the sunday of the August bank holiday w/e and several PLS took part although I haven't run it myself.
If it falls on the same w/e this yr how about putting this one in instead of the Moel Famau race?
I do love the Moel Famau race but recently I think we have had only 5 or less club members taking part. The Bank holiday Monday traffic back from N. Wales isn't much fun either!

Oh yeh,, and one of the Badger Trail 10kms in the Cuerden Valley please Andy.
I think we have 4 to choose from and have been well supported by PLS.

I'd like to make it for a drink (being optimistic there!)

Andy, your post suggests it'll be the last Sandstone A Race this year - is no more of them. I hope I've misread.

Excalibur at the end of May was popular last year - the half may be a good option if Moel Famau in August doesn't make the cut. It's not the cheapest but very well organised.

Wait I can do the August bank holiday race this year.

Sandstone will likely carry on with a new organiser.

Clwydian hills is a good race, although they made it longer last year. I did it the year before. It does have FRA rules (coat, trousers, map and compass). They got relaxed the year I did it, but may not every year.

I think the north Wales summer fell races should be included. They start at 19:30 normally. They run from June to July.

See you all there tonight.

We can also reminis about today's mud fest at Birchwood.

All welcome.

I've made a spreadsheet!