Penny Lane Striders
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night: Tuesday 25th October at 7.30pm

Our next PLS social event will be the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night on Tuesday 25th October at 7.30pm at Riversdale Police Club. The event is open for booking via WebCollect at £5 per head, which is a contribution towards the cost of the curry.
For the benefit of those of us who never had the opportunity to meet Andrew, here are a few words from our Chairman, Rachel Rick:

'Andrew Stansfield was a Penny Lane Strider. He loved the club and worked really hard for us all, as Treasurer and as a group leader. When he had an operation on his knee in 2012 he came back as soon as he could, leading groups on his bike! He also out in some amazing (stonking, even) performances - in 2011, before his op achieving 3:20 at the London Marathon and 1:33 at Helsby Half. I remember his training even now, and was passing on his advice about running downhill only last week. Having said that, I did see him sliding down one of the hills at Birchwood in what can only be described as a sitting position. Andrew's illness and sudden passing in 2013 was a huge loss to the club and we honour his memory on this, one of his favourite events.'

Re: Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night: Tuesday 25th October at 7.30pm

I'm in!
Nice one Claire

Re: Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night: Tuesday 25th October at 7.30pm

Italian Stallion
I'm in!
Nice one Claire

Great stuff Simo!

This Event is very a very enjoyable and social evening,with a 5K run to start the fun,i would encourage all to sign up and get invovled, either by running or maybe as a marshall. As has been said Andrew was a very active member of our club, and his passion for running shone out in every session,along with his sense of humour.It would be impossible to forget how Andrew, somehow managed to support every leg of The Welsh Castles Relays[Saturday and Sunday] with the Beatles , PENNY LANE blasting out of his car,in support of our club members, but all runners would end up clapping and cheering such was his enthusiasm, a fantastic weekend was had by all involved, but my overriding memory will be of Andrew and his love of our club.

Hi all,

Just to be clear for new members.

There is no alternative training session on this night. This is our own private event in memory of Andrew. I encourage everyone to sprint, run , walk, hobble or marshall then enjoy a (subsidised) curry afterwards. And a (non subsidised) beer with your PLS teamies.

Thanks

Hi everyone, here are a few more details about the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k for the benefit of our newer members:

In place of our usual club session, we will be meeting at Riversdale Police Club on Tuesday 25th October for a prompt 7.30pm start. This will be an individual handicap event where runners will start in reverse order of their recent 5k PB (to the nearest 30 seconds). If the handicaps work well there should be a photo finish! Either way, there will be plenty of fun to be had. Individual times will not be recorded, but there will be medals for the first 3 male and female finishers.

Curry and chips will be served after the race and the draw for the club places in the Virgin London Marathon will also take place. Our club captains Andy and Helen will provide further details of this nearer the time. We will also have a raffle - and all this for a fiver!

Last year we had 125 participants and our target is to beat that total this year. Tickets are available via WebCollect on our club website - why not join us? #teampls #nofomo

Hi everyone! Bookings are going really well for our forthcoming social event - the biggest of the year in terms of participation.

The Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night takes place on Tuesday 25th October at 7.30pm, starting and finishing at the Riversdale Police Club.

Further details are already available in my previous posts about this event - please don't miss out, buy your ticket via WebCollect as soon as possible to guarantee your place. Only a fiver, and you get curry and chips too. You know it makes sense!

michael devereux
This Event is very a very enjoyable and social evening,with a 5K run to start the fun,i would encourage all to sign up and get invovled, either by running or maybe as a marshall. As has been said Andrew was a very active member of our club, and his passion for running shone out in every session,along with his sense of humour.It would be impossible to forget how Andrew, somehow managed to support every leg of The Welsh Castles Relays[Saturday and Sunday] with the Beatles , PENNY LANE blasting out of his car,in support of our club members, but all runners would end up clapping and cheering such was his enthusiasm, a fantastic weekend was had by all involved, but my overriding memory will be of Andrew and his love of our club.

That's a lovely memory, Mike - thank you for giving newer members like me the chance to hear more about Andrew.

Andrew B (treasurer)
Hi all,

Just to be clear for new members.

There is no alternative training session on this night. This is our own private event in memory of Andrew. I encourage everyone to sprint, run , walk, hobble or marshall then enjoy a (subsidised) curry afterwards. And a (non subsidised) beer with your PLS teamies.

Thanks

You sell it well, my friend! I can't wait. Bring on the fun! #teampls #nofomo

What is the link...or where is the link for the webcollect page thanks

Here I am again, everyone - 48 bookings so far for the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night on Tuesday 25th October, 7.30pm at Riversdale Police Club. We can do better than this - last year 125 of us took part. This year our club is much bigger, so let's smash that target and make it 126 this year! There's no club session that night, so where else would you be? You know it makes sense. Sign up today via the Members' Area of our club website and I promise to leave you in peace! ;) #teampls #nofomo #dontmakemebeg

Michael O'Rourke

Hi Michael, go to the Members' Area (top right corner of our homepage) and log in as usual. You will then see the race listed under 'Upcoming Events.' Let me know if you have any problems with this

Claire Meadows
Michael O'Rourke

Hi Michael, go to the Members' Area (top right corner of our homepage) and log in as usual. You will then see the race listed under 'Upcoming Events.' Let me know if you have any problems with this

Got it thanks

I'm back in town, Striders - and we now have 125 bookings for the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night next Tuesday. If anyone else signs up online via the club website then we will have smashed last year's total and I may even stop pestering everyone to do so!

Tonight is the deadline, folks, so please don't miss out. Bookings close at midnight tonight - join us for another legendaryPenny Lane social event! #teampls #nofomo #ipromisetogoawayrightnow

https://webcollect.org.uk/pls

Good morning Striders! We have had a fantastic response to the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night next Tuesday - 143 bookings, which has smashed last year's total. Due to overwhelming demand for places, we have extended the deadline until midnight on Saturday 22nd October, when the event will close for bookings. If you would like to join us, this is your last chance to do so - don't miss out! £5 per head which includes curry and chips. You know it makes sense! #teampls #nofomo #clairepleasegoawayrightnow

https://webcollect.org.uk/pls

Good afternoon everyone, here comes our traditional pre-event appeal for raffle prizes...any donations very gratefully received. If you have a contribution to our raffle then please bring it along on Tuesday night. We'll stash it before the run and draw the raffle after the curry and chips. It could be even more tense than the VLM draw, who knows? Thanks in advance, have a great weekend and I promise to leave you in peace for a while! #teampls #nofomo #pleasepleaseleaveusalone

Astonishing turnout today for our cross country fixture - a huge thank you to the team who worked so hard to make it happen.
Now we plunge straight into preparations for the Andrew Stansfield Memorial 5k and Curry Night on Tuesday at 7.30pm at Riversdale Police Club - please aim to arrive by 7.15pm for a prompt start.
Please bring along a raffle prize if you can. Entries are now closed and we're expecting a bumper crowd once more. Let's make this yet another memorable event for the club! #teampls #nofomo #toolatetoenternow

Good morning everyone - a few last minute details for tomorrow night:

*There is no club session at Garston.
*We're meeting at Riversdale Police Club - please arrive by 7.15pm so that the race can start promptly at 7.30pm.
*PLEASE WEAR HI VIZ - safety first. We're not on the roads but we will still be sharing the prom with bikes and other pedestrians.
*Please bring a raffle prize if possible.
*The event is now closed for bookings and we have a huge turnout of approximately 160, smashing last year's total by a mile. It promises to be another great night for the club. Let's make it so!

#teampls #nofomo #toolatenow #weregonnaneedabiggerboat

PS I'm going to miss chatting to myself in here....!

Hello Claire,can I give my apologies for tomorrow night as I will be struggling to get down to the event tomorrow in time for start.

No worries Graham, feel free to join us for curry afterwards if you have time.

well done to John Kelly winning tonight .Gutted myself another 200 yards and I would have caught him

A huge thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make this event such a big success. A great turnout from both runners and volunteers alike. This event marks exactly 2 years since I joined Penny Lane and that's turning out to be one of my better decisions. Exhausted now but happy. We are Penny Lane xxx