Return to Website

karnATik message board

Looking for lyrics, songs, meanings? Want to discuss ragas, concerts, singers? Post here and let your views be known!

karnATik message board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Raga experiment

Sir,

I've been learning Carnatic Music for the past four months.

If you live in Chennai, kindly give your phone number to ask doubts in music. If you are not in Chennai, give anyones, who must be good, phone number.

Thank u,

N. Subramanian

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am sure that I am not the first one to try this experiment, but sure would like to know the results of some one having tried this: Take a well known varnam and the one you are very familiar with and substitute swaras and sing/play it in another Ragam. I tried the famous Mohanam "Ninnukkori" with Abhogi notes (and gamakams), ..sounds quite nice. But when I replaced the suddha "ma" of Sami Ninne - Sankarabharam with Prathi "ma" it sounded like the Hindusthani version of Kalyani. Very educational. As you can see this could be a fun and endless experimentation, not only with Varnams, but also famous Krithis.

Re: Re: Raga experiment

The owner of this web site is Rani and she would be eager to help you with many doubts. I am not in Chennai and I am sure there are a very large number of music teachers around Chennai, that your friends and relatives woul dbe aware of. If not you may also contact the famous musicians Sri Vijaysiva, Sri Ravi Kiran and Mrs Sowmya who are dedicated to helping people particularly young people with improving their Carnatic knowledge.

Replying to:

Sir,

I've been learning Carnatic Music for the past four months.

If you live in Chennai, kindly give your phone number to ask doubts in music. If you are not in Chennai, give anyones, who must be good, phone number.

Thank u,

N. Subramanian

Replying to:

I am sure that I am not the first one to try this experiment, but sure would like to know the results of some one having tried this: Take a well known varnam and the one you are very familiar with and substitute swaras and sing/play it in another Ragam. I tried the famous Mohanam "Ninnukkori" with Abhogi notes (and gamakams), ..sounds quite nice. But when I replaced the suddha "ma" of Sami Ninne - Sankarabharam with Prathi "ma" it sounded like the Hindusthani version of Kalyani. Very educational. As you can see this could be a fun and endless experimentation, not only with Varnams, but also famous Krithis.