Return to Website

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM

A place for Puma owners and enthusiasts to ask questions, provide answers, and post information of interest.

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Puma fenders

Fender trim? are we talking about the bumpers?

In Brazil new steel un chromed approximately 244 GBP,
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-514483369-puma-gte-gts-parachoques-em-metal-_JM

chromed about 416 GBP
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-508778276-puma-gte-gts-parachoques-em-metal-_JM

Thanks Paul, where I am they're also called bumpers, I only said fenders in a pathetic attempt to Americanize myself!! Martin

Hi Paul, I've found the bumpers on the mercadolivre website. Price looks good, can you comment on the product quality? Maybe it's better to buy unchromed and get this done on arrival, in England? Have you dealt with these people yourself? I have no knowledge of the Portuguese language! Martin.

Hi Paul, I've now navigated my way thru the Portuguese website using Chrome translator and have a price including shipping which looks competitive. Can I simply ask if anyone has any experience of the product quality from this source? Thanks Martin

Take it from an American located in Oklahoma. No one here refers to bumpers as fenders. Fender is the American English term for the part of an automobile body that frames a wheel well.

You can get a set of chrome bumpers from Puma Cars of South Africa
www.pumacars.co.za for a lesser amount than you quoted. As an alternative, they have replica bumpers cast in fiberglass that are much less expensive.

I do NOT highly recommend these people because they are slow to respond to messages and their shipping costs are high but sometimes they are "the last resort" for hard to find Puma parts.

Don

Thanks Don, it now seems to be a choice between Brazil Merco Livre and Puma Za; anyone have any views on which are the better quality?
B.T.W. I take you advice on the use of the word fender but my Oxford English Dictionary, revised eighth edition states, 'Fender: US vehicle's bumper' so there's a lot of us over here confused! Apologies if I've offended anyone! Martin

Re: Puma front bumpers

Martin, I am also need a set of chrome front bumpers for my 1975 Puma.
Can you assist?
How is the quality and availability from Brazil?
I dont think Puma SA have them available.
Regards
Pieter

Hi Pieter, Yes I also found that there are none available in S.A. Can't comment on the quality from Brazil as I'm still waiting for someone out there on this forum to tell me??
I have however accessed the Mercadolivre Brazil website using Chrome as a browser (I don't speak Portuguese and it translates) Site looks like it's their Ebay? They're response was immediate; they're looking for R$ 1,900 inclusive for a set four, front and back, including shipping to UK. (total around 500 Pounds) Presently setting up an adequate credit limit on Western Union to make payment in Brazilian currency (R$)
Unless someone tells me, within the next 24 hours, that the quality is poor then I'll get back to you once the bumpers are received.
Cheers, Martin.
P.S. presume from the name that you're in S.A., once had a gr8 vacation there, miss eating your billtong!

Martin, Thanks for the info. Yes I am from SA. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here.
I will appreciate your feedback on the received bumper set.
I see from the partslist of PUMA SA that they have fibreglass bumpers available. I am wondering if fiberglass can be chrome, may be a cheaper way out.
Regards
Pieter

Pieter
Fibreglass can have a coating applied that looks very much like chrome. Good idea.

Martin, If Morello (in Brazil)says the quality is good, then I would believe him. He has done well for me, even steered me clear of items he said came in varying degrees of quality depending on the supplier. I will send him an email now and ask him directly. When I get an answer I will let you know.

Paul

Thanks Guys.

Martin, Morello has replied and he tells me the quality is very good and the chrome plating is very good. I believe him.

Paul

Yes thanks, I'm in touch with Jose, he seems sound. He also has other bits that I'm interested in so I've sent him a list to price. Feeling very positive I'll let you know how it works out. Greatly appreciate you putting me in touch...I owe you a beer! Martin

Hi Pieter, Thinking of using fibreglass bumpers instead of metal; assuming you went ahead and bought some, what do you think? Martin