Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I solved the "clue"! The 666 in the Chan Sunday Comic!

I finally solved this one, beforehand. However, I only did so by guessing at the answer; and unfortunately, not with any logic. Still, now I know...do you! :smiling_imp:

Re: I solved the "clue"! The 666 in the Chan Sunday Comic!

AH! Yes, Lou, we had a pretty good "idea" as to who the beast would be as we saw who it was that was torturing the mind of Mr. Mueller! However, if we go back to the September 21 installment, we see that Charlie Chan also has a previous clue as to the identity! That was certainly how he was able to solve the cipher so quickly! Pretty interesting, though, how those six numbers, corresponding to the correct letters, were able to add up to 666!

Numerically Yours,
Rush

Rush, yes, I see it plainly now in that strip. It's even more obvious to the reader in the next to strips (Sep 28 & Oct 5th). However, it is still a "guess" by Charlie from what he viewed on Doc Meuller's notes in the September 21st, strip...correct? I mean there wasn't any actual system of putting together numbers to arrive at the conclusion (i.e. say without seeing that symbol?)

Confused in CLE

Agreed, Lou! I do find it interesting how that "system" did work out the way it did! My guess is that the strip's creator, Alfred Andriola, had come across this cipher somewhere and used it as a key element of this story. I do feel that seeing the swastika earlier made an impression on Mr. Chan!

This morning I was thinking that this was a rather bold statement by Andriola, as this week's strip was published (10/19/1941) more than six weeks before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and was produced perhaps a couple of months before that. (And, this doesn't take into account the beginnings of the storyline!) At this time, the U.S. was still trying to maintain a shaky "neutrality" during the growing conflict beyond our borders.

Interesting stuff!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, I think you may have hit on another mystery. Why did the U.S. finally enter into WWII? Was it the attacks on our supposedly neutral ships, or perhaps instigated by one each Cartoonist Alfred Andriola! Well done ole boy...CONGRATS!