Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chan-provsiations

Greetings to all of our Chan Family friends,

We (MnR) are sorry to have missed the last several Chan family movie nights. Rachel is up to her ears with work and Mike is hanging out with some improvising musicians these days, and we have a major hangout time on Monday evening with the NY/DC and LA crews getting together to do really fun (i.e. "weird") stuff.

But staying connected to "our" *extended* family is important. So Mike has been improvising with movies. Here are links to two of his recent efforts.

(Just tried this out--you'll have to copy/paste the links and possibly download the videos. Apologies, but this is the best we can do. YouTube will zap these because of 'potential copyright violations.' Grrrr. But the links get you to the "stuff.")

1. A silent animated "cartoon" from the 1920s called "Fantasmagorie." Mike is improvising a solo clarinet sound track.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZNkOZlL9bDAEG76GLKZIllTrHDP-CsTS/view?usp=sharing

2. Mike's pet project: The opening scene from "The Shanghai Chest." This is one of the Monogram Chans with mediocre music. But the opening sequence is over three minutes of screen time with NO DIALOGUE. Mike left in a few subtitles to illustrate the action--but he stripped out the Monogram music and did a clarinet improv along with Chan. It's a way to connect his work as a musician with his Chan family. And it's just fun to do. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J5Zbol4ROy0FU4y3WncULVKaXgepsEBn/view?usp=sharing

MnR will be back with "the family" in the new year. In the meantime, keep enjoying the Chan Life, and have a happy and healthy holiday season!

Best wishes,

MnR in DC

Re: Chan-provsiations

Dear Mike...and Rachel,

This is WONDERFUL! To say I am impressed is a huge understatement! Your "take" on "The Shanghai Chest" opening allowed me to look at that portion of the film with a fresh pair of eyes...and EARS. I certainly did have the feel of watching a silent film on TCM!

With your permission, I would like to pass the links along to our members via our weekly emailed newsletter. This week's will be a "triple issue" as I will be traveling to Iowa during the Christmas holidays!

Take care, the best of the season to you and Rachel...and Thank You...SO MUCH!

Sincerely,
Rush

Hi Rush,

Sorry to have been late in replying here...but certainly you have permission to share...whenever!

In the meantime, have a very Happy Holidays, a Happy and Healthy New Year and very safe travels!

Mike (and Rachel)

P.S. A special "Rachel greeting" from DC Rachel to her namesake. :)

Nice job Mike! Sounds like you had fun putting that together. I'm guessing you'll be tagged for the next Charlie Chan movie when it comes out :thinking_face:

Season't Greet-things from the redoubtable, fixedly staring Fox and myself! We'll look forward to your return till we can look back at it, you two safe in the back seat, Honolulu approaching FAST in the rear-view as we floor it in Reverse, FORWARD, INTO THE PAST! I can't forget "clarinet " is found in Webster's between "claptrap" and "clarion", two VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIMENTS! We'll keep them warm for you! Marie Crispus to Al, & to Al a good knife: BANG!!
-----Let's try to be a little more serious, you kids. Notes could VERY EASILY go home to parents, executive decision to apply board of education revise stance of apprentice detectives: BOOM!