Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who was involved in the murder in "Charlie Chan's Secret"?

I think it's interesting that there is only one individual who is eventually arrested for the murder of Allen Colby in "Charlie Chan's Secret." There HAD to be others involved to at least some extent! Professor Bowan who led the fateful seance had to know that Colby's body would appear on the stairway, and someone had to be there to hold up the body and then let it fall at the right moment. Who could that person have been? That person (or persons!), as well as Bowan, and maybe even Carlotta, his assistant (despite her protesting her innocence), should have been charged with being an accessory to murder, I believe.

What are your thoughts? If you feel others were involved, whom would you suspect? As Charlie Chan has said, "Very difficult to explain hole in doughnut, but hole always there." Such is the case with this case!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Who was involved in the murder in "Charlie Chan's Secret"?

Rush, perhaps nowadays that would be the case. But if memory serves me back then, those with prestige or power were often "excused" if not directly implemented in crimes--and there was someone else to take all the blame. And didn't Henrietta Lowell decide not to press charges against Professor Bowman and Carlotta? (today the police would have pressed charges on their own.)

Otherwise I agree with Charlie, "Best place for family skeleton is in family closet!"

Yes, Lou, Mrs. Lowell did, indeed refuse to press charges against Professor Bowan and Carlotta, but the charge she didn't wish to press would have been the fraud they (actually professor Bowan) committed with regard to her money. She would not be able to not press any charges relating to a murder or assisting a murderer.

As is sadly the case today as it was back in 1936, some of those with "prestige and power" could sometimes get away with some pretty bad crimes. (However, today, in our age of escalating media- and culture-driven emotion, that equation might be a bit more complex.)

Now, as to my guess as to who, besides Professor Bowan (Carlotta seems to have been "in the dark"), Ulrich comes to mind as a possible "helper" and was conceivably the person who held up the body of Allen Colby on the stairway during the seance, letting it fall at the right moment. He did have a motive of hatred toward Colby. Someone not present at the seance HAD to be the one who participated in that sequence.

This has always been a missing piece of the puzzle of the murder of Allen Colby.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Rush

Dear Rush, you bring up a good point. It does NOT seem at all explained. However, didn't "Fred"(Edward Trevor) say he knew the place well and it was a web of catacombs, or something similar? I think the inference is that he left during the séance, entered the secret room from behind, and let loose Colby's body at the right moment...since he was the murderer.

However, I see your point, what about the hidden lamp and rubbing quinine water on the dead man's face? Did he do that or did Professor Bowen along with setting the false séance music? That would make the Professor an accomplice. Unless we're to believe that "Fred" did that, too?

Perhaps we can cue this till next March and put it in your weekly email? It's will certainly make viewing "Secret" all the more interesting. Lots of disparities there, but still this is one of my favorite Chan films!

T.Y.S.M. Lou

Dear Lou,

Yes, this will give us something to think about until next year when we share "Charlie Chan's Secret" again! We will all be invited to watch for all clues as to the identity of the person or persons assisting the killer in the plot to eliminate Allen Colby!

Sincerely,
Rush