Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan At His Best: As A Solo Act, Or With A Partner?

Does Charlie work best when solving a crime on his own, or does the character shine brightest when he's solving a crime with someone at his side (like one of his numerous children)?

I tend to think that Charlie needs someone against which his wit can stand out. Batman without Robin, and Sherlock with Watson, just don't work as well as they do with those other characters.

With that said, I'd like to know how others feel.

Re: Charlie Chan At His Best: As A Solo Act, Or With A Partner?

Hi, MM!

I agree. In both the films as well as the original stories by Earl Derr Biggers, Charlie Chan works best when there is someone working with him. Even when Chan is working "solo," there is practically always someone who eventually connects with him! This may be someone with very limited skills, such as Baxter the butler in "Charlie Chan's Secret." One film where he worked almost totally on his own was "Charlie Chan in London."

I enjoy watching Charlie Chan interact with his sons as well as, on a couple of occasions, a daughter. There is often a fun give and take between them, and, along the way, each offspring does contribute some valid assistance that helps there famous pop!

Nice topic, MM! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

MM, I agree the "shine" comes from the interaction between characters, especially, if they are assisting as a novice. This gives them a chance to point out to us just how smart and clever our hero is in their investigating.

Thinking further, I really couldn't come up with too many sleuths who work alone; however, Phillip Marlowe and Nick Charles come to mind--at least in solving the crime on alone. Still, we don't understand their nature or personality until they interact with others.

Fun topic! TXS, Lou

In the Mr. Moto movie series (8 films starring Peter Lorre and 1 film starring Henry Silva), Mr. Moto does not have a regular partner, although he is assisted by other characters in some of the films. This plot element makes Moto more mysterious than some of the other detectives, because the viewer is not always sure for whom Moto is working.

John, I'd forgotten Mr. Moto; ironic because I just reread the first novel this past holiday "Your turn Mr. Moto." He's probably the loneliest detective (or should I say spy :eye: ) in town. And so unusual as he's on the other team trying to thwart America and her allies efforts. Yet we become endeared to him and sympathetic to his plight...and usually he to ours. Good one!