Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OUR CCF MONDAY EVENING CHAT AND FILM VIEWING FOR May 10: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island”

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “Anything possible.”

GREETINGS! Out film for this week is probably the highest-rated entry in the Charlie Chan series! Whenever there is a poll as to the all-time greatest Chan adventure, “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island” is right at the top! This is definitely one to be savored like a fine vintage wine…

OUR CHAT ROOM: Our Chat Room can be accessed the same way that we accessed by going to our “Chat Room” link at charliechan.info, or use this direct link: http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html

THIS WEEK’S PRESENTATION: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island” (1939; 74 minutes); along with our “extra,” a Charlie Chan radio mystery, “The Landini Murder Case: The Double Murder Weapon”. (1936; 15 minutes).

FEATURE INTRODUCTION: On a flight from Honolulu to San Francisco, Paul Essex, a novelist friend of Charlie Chan, appears to have committed suicide. At the Golden Gate International Exposition, held on San Francisco Bay's Treasure Island, Chan, with Number Two Son, Jimmy, at his side, investigates a strange mystic called Dr. Zodiac who, the detective learns, blackmails clients.

FEATURE NOTES: According to ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news items and production charts, John Carradine and Joyce Compton were to be included in the cast of this film, but their participation in the completed picture is doubtful. It is of interest, however, to note that two photographs, one that is certainly of John Carradine and another that is very possibly of Joyce Compton, can be seen on a wall in Rhadini's office in “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island.” According to Kay Linaker, Gerald Mohr was the voice of Dr. Zodiac. An April 19, 1939 ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news item refers to the film as "Charlie Chan at the World's Fair." The Golden Gate International Exposition, held on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay from February 1939 to October 1940, provided the backdrop for some of the picture's action.

CAST (as credited):

Sidney Toler: Charlie Chan

Cesar Romero: [Fred] Rhadini

Pauline Moore: Eve Cairo

Sen Yung: Jimmy Chan

Douglas Fowley: Pete Lewis

June Gale: Myra Rhadini

Douglas Dumbrille: Thomas Gregory (alias Stewart Salisbury)

Sally Blane: Stella Essex

Billie Seward: Bessie Sibley

Wally Vernon: Elmer Kelner

Donald MacBride: Deputy Chief J.J. Kilvaine

Charles Halton: Redley

Trevor Bardette: Abdul (called "The Turk")

Louis Jean Heydt: Paul Essex (alias Paul Ellison)

UNCREDITED CAST (alphabetical):

Jack Chefe: Audience Member

Heinie Conklin: First Taxicab Driver

Sayre Dearing: Audience Member

John Elliott: Backstage Doctor

Bud Geary: Police Officer at Station House

Harold Goodwin: Airline Steward

Edith Hallor: Toots

Fred Kelsey: Lead Detective in Taxi and Theater

Al Kikume: Hawaiian Village Waiter

Kay Linaker: Séance Apparition

Hank Mann: Second Taxicab Driver

Margaret Mann: Airline Passenger

Frank Meredith: Second Detective

Harold Miller: Audience Member

Bruce Mitchell: Police Desk Sergeant

Hans Moebus: Audience Member

Gerald Mohr: Dr. Zodiac

Bert Moorhouse: Audience Member

David Newell: Audience Member

Harry Owens: Band Leader

Imboden Parrish: Airline Passenger

Tom Quinn: Person at Arrival Gate

Arthur Rankin: Airline Official

Frank Rapport: Audience member

Gloria Roy: Airline Passenger

Jeffry Sayre: Man at Landing Gate

Harry Strang: Taxicab Dispatcher

Charles Tannen: Airline Passenger

Freddie Tavares: Steel Guitar Musician

Edwin Tuttle: Audience Member

FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION ON OUR FEATURE: Please go to http://www.charliechan.info/id38.html

TRIVIA: There was a “20th Century-Fox Day” at the Golden Gate International Exposition at Treasure Island, which was attended by Sidney Toler. A photograph (see our “Sidney Toler” section of our Gallery) of the actor at the event seems to indicate he came “in character.”

THIS WEEK’S TERM: buffaloed - (Slang) (1) To intimidate, as by a display of confidence or authority. (2) To deceive; hoodwink. (3) To confuse; bewilder.

Pete Lewis: "...you might have her buffaloed, but you don't fool me!"

THIS WEEK’S IMAGES: (Attached) First, an anxious Jimmy Chan speaks with Thomas Gregory about his life expectancy aboard the Clipper en route to San Francisco. And as a bonus: "Charlie Chan at - Treasure Island - Golden Gate International Fair S.F."

For a viewing of more than 500 images from ALL films in the Charlie Chan series and MORE, please visit our Gallery: http://www.charliechan.info/id448.html

IF YOU LACK A COPY OF OUR FILM: Often our features can be found online. AH, the JOY! “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island” IS AVAILABLE online! You may access it above at “THIS WEEK’S PRESENTATION” and also at our Chat Room as a link.

OUR MONTHLY POLL: Please take a moment to cast your vote in our APRIL 2021 POLL, right here: May 2021 Poll

OUR APRIL POLL RESULT:

QUESTION: Do you think a Charlie Chan film could be made today?

Yes 75%

No 25%

DO YOU HAVE A POLL QUESTION? You are invited to suggest a Monthly Poll question! Send your ideas to: charliechanfamily@lyahoo.com.

OUR CCF CHAT ARCHIVE: Please take a look at our growing collection of CCF Chat Texts from previous years and this year: http://www.charliechan.info/id830.html

NEXT WEEK: “Charlie Chan in City in Darkness”

OUR CHARLIE CHAN FAMILY NEWSLETTER for this year!

This is our third annual Charlie Chan Family Newsletter! It contains the work of a number of Charlie Chan Family members and friends. Thank you so much to Lou Armagno, aka, HonoluLou, who has put together and published yet another masterpiece! Please use this link to access this year's newsletter which covers the year 2020. Please enjoy!

AND… DON’T MISS THIS GREAT CHARLIE CHAN BLOG!: AND… DON’T MISS THIS GREAT CHARLIE CHAN BLOG!: A great blog site, The Postman on Holiday, is offered by our own Charlie Chan and Earl Derr Biggers expert, Lou Armagno which is: "A place to explore all things surrounding Detective Charlie Chan, his creator Earl Derr Biggers, and their connection with Hawaii, Cleveland, and mystery fiction." Updated each month, it can be found at this address: www.thepostmanonholiday.com

SO, REMEMBER, PLEASE JOIN US for this week’s feature, “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island.”

THANK YOU SO MUCH…

Sincerely,

Rush Glick

Re: OUR CCF MONDAY EVENING CHAT AND FILM VIEWING FOR May 10: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island”

I watched the "Treasure Island" film also last night (sorry I couldn't join in,) and got curious as to the title of the book Charlie was reading on the Clipper at the beginning of the film.

I went to the Family Home's "FILMS" page for the movie and there it was:

Romantic Moon by Michael Shawn

I could find neither that book, nor the author, anywhere on the internet. I wonder if they made up the book cover up just for this film?

Re: OUR CCF MONDAY EVENING CHAT AND FILM VIEWING FOR May 10: “Charlie Chan at Treasure Island”

Dear Lou,

Yes, I have looked that book up as well, including used booksellers, and...nothing. I suppose that the book was a prop, made by the studio. However, it is still possible that it was an actual book that eventually fell into obscurity, out of the MANY thousands that have certainly suffered that fate over the decades!

Sincerely,
Rush

Dear Rush, there's only one thing to do. Like Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion we must go down to the Emerald City to see THE WIZARD! In this case that's J. Kingston Pierce.

J. Kingston Pierce, is the webmaster behind two sites, "The Rap Sheet" and "Killer Covers." I'm pretty sure you're aware of that though, as he's featured your site many times over the years. If anyone can tell us about a book "cover" it would be Mr. Pierce.

However, presently he is engaged in writing something for another entity. So when I get the word he's back, I'll launch an inquiry.

Wouldn't it be cool if that IS an actual novel! If so you might consider adding it to "The Library", for it's strategic significance.

T.Y.S.M.
Lou

Dear Lou,

Thank you! That would be great if that novel could be located! Yes, it would be a definite "add" to the Library! My personal one, as well!

Sincerely,
Rush

Well, unfortunately Mr. Pierce came up with nothing, also. However, he did say "the cover art looked familiar" and he'd try to remember where he saw it...and he is a master of cover art:

http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspot.com/

Thank you for sharing this article, you have told a good thing in this article. I have also removed my problem from this https://www.studyauedu.com/ site and I take all the information from here, this is a platform where you will get the best tips and services related to students. And it is also free for all.