Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2021 Ethnicity of cast in remakes of missing Chans

Dear Tenman,

Welcome back! I was so happy to see your name on the post!

You pose some very though=provoking questions, which, in one form or another have come up from time to time over the years. My first thought is, that in these PC, racially hyper-sensitive times in which we find ourselves, it would be impossible to even consider casting a non-Asain in the role of Charlie Chan. Interestingly, none of the three Chan sons, Keye Luke, Victor Sen Yung, or Benson Fong, felt insulted by an actor of European descent portraying their pop. In fact, you can read what Keye Luke had to say in a 1985 TV interview when asked his opinion on Warner Oland or any non-Asian playing an "ethnic" role:

"Well, I call it artistry. I think that regardless of race, color, background, so on - if a man can create a character which you can believe, he is an artist and is entitled to the distinction of artistry, and I don't think race has a thing to do about it. Furthermore, at that time there were no Orientals around that could have possibly played that part, for one thing. They might have some today, but I don't know of any - that is, those that fit the Chan image - you know, that portly, genial sort of character." (The entire transcribed interview can be accessed at: http://www.charliechan.info/id152.html)

Next, I have little faith that Hollywood has what it takes to make such a film without spoiling it with explosions, gratuitous violence, foul language, sexuality, and on and on... I have thought for a long time that the best realistic bet would be for a Charlie Chan adventure, and, yes, having it set in the "Charlie Chan era" of the 'thirties, would be for the British to make it. We have seen time and again how they have done wonderfully with other detective period pieces. My choice for a Chan story to be produced as either a multi-part TV film or as a full-length movie (I would opt for the former!), would be The final Chan adventure penned by Earl Derr Biggers, "Keeper of the Keys" which was never made into a movie.

Except for being shot in color in a creative way to fit the time period, I think it would be wonderful if things that you mention, such as lighting and staging could fit the "originals."

Also, regarding Lou's suggestion: Benedict Wong...maybe...! And he IS British...!

So, these are my thoughts, Tenman! And, I thought I was going to get to bed early tonight! Thank you so much for your interesting, stimulating thoughts, and I hope that you might be able to join us for one of our Monday evening chats sometime soon!

Thank you, once again!

Sincerely,
Rush