Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Five months of "Withdrawal" for this Chan Fan!

Last Sunday, May 31st, ended the three and one-half year run of The Charlie Chan Sunday Comics, which Rush (unwaveringly) updates each week on this site. So folks like me are left abandoned to the regular Sunday comics ($5 a pop!) Still, hope abides as another three and one-half year journey will resume 5 months from now--this Halloween, October 31, 2021.

In the meantime, if you haven't ever seen the series of Midweek Magazine's "Chinatown Cop" (based on real-life Detective Chang Apana,) you'll find the link in my June 1st, blog, titled: "One last Aloha'oe to John Noland and his comic strip Chinatown Cop." Here's the site link:

https://thepostmanonholiday.com/

To Rush, a well deserved break as you venture your move this June from the Wild West to the Midwest! Congrats and as always "Thank you so much." Lou

Re: Five months of "Withdrawal" for this Chan Fan!

Dear Lou,

A bow and a doff of the Panama to you as you are the Chief of the Chan Comics Corps!

I believe that this next run will mark our fifth trip through the fabulous world of Charlie Chan in newsprint. Out of the total of 188 Charlie Chan Sunday comics that were produced we only lack 20 examples. Little by little gaps in our collection have closed through a constant search of Internet sources, especially eBay! Interestingly, ALL of our 20 missing original comics come from the year 1941. My thought is that with the scrap material drives that occurred after the attack on Pearl Harbor at the end of that year, people went through their attics, basements, and garages, and, among the paper contributed to the cause went newspapers, including the comics sections. So, we continue to use "facsimile" examples until the rare "find" pops up!

While I am at it, in case anyone reading this happens to know the whereabouts of a Charlie Chan Sunday newspaper comic from any of the following dates, please let me know! One never knows...

4/6/41
4/13/41
4/20/41
5/11/41
5/18/41
7/13/41
7/20/41
7/27/41
8/10/41
9/14/41
9/21/41
10/5/41