Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another book advertised on Amazon

Has anyone had the opportunity to check out "The Amelia Earhart Mystery: Charlie Chan in the Pacific" by Adrian Vogler? I was wondering if it was worth purchasing.

Re: Another book advertised on Amazon

Hi, Steve!

Lately, these "Charlie Chan" books have been sprouting like mushrooms in a damp cavern! An interesting question is why so many and so suddenly? Has the copyright on the literary character ended? Of the recent spate of books, only "Charlie Chan's Luxury Cruise" has lived up to my expectations. I recently purchased a copy of "The Jade Dragon's Curse," and stopped halfway through the meager offering (78 pages, padded with spacing between each paragraph). The writing, as suggested in one of our recent posts below, comes off as if composed by a bland, semi-creative AI program, with "Charlie Chan's" dialogue nothing close to what one would call "Chanesque." Also, the story is presented in the form of a script, populated by personages not even approaching the two-dimensional realm. It is hard to understand how Amazon could be a party to something like this. Sad.

Also to be avoided, in my humble opinion: "Charlie Chan: Cheeseburgers, Root Beer Floats and Murder," although there is at least some character development, but, unfortunately, we have a "Charlie Chan" perhaps from an alternate reality...Earth 387?

Oh, Mr. Biggers, was that a raindrop or your tear falling from Heaven?

At this point, I don't desire the prospect of wasting any further moolah on empty hopes of finding a good NEW Charlie Chan story, especially if they appear in rapid, assembly-line fashion from the same author. Again, I DID find "Charlie Chan's Luxury Cruise" to be a worthy effort, in spite of a few anachronisms, and can feel safe recommending it here.

I hope that this helps!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry Mr. Biggers didn't live long enough to write any more Charlie Chan novels. I read all six while I was in college many years ago and found them a lot more enjoyable than studying. I have since reread a number of them and purchased "Charlie Chan's Luxury Cruise" last year. I was hoping that author would write more Charlie Chan books, but haven't seen any. He has written several Sherlock Holmes mysteries, however.

Dear Steve,

Thank you! It is nice to see your positive thoughts on "Charlie Chan's Luxury Cruise." Hopefully, the author is working on another Charlie Chan novel. That would mean he's not cranking them out in rapid-fire succession, which would be a negative as we are seeing!

Sincerely,
Rush

"Like mushrooms in a dark cavern" I like it. Is that an aphorism? Oh wait! No, that's a simile. :smile:

Dear Lou,

:wink:

Sincerely,
Rush

Here's something interesting about this particular author, Adrian Vogler. In addition to that Amelia Earhart-Charlie Chan book, he also wrote:

"Artificial Intelligence Teams: Modernizing Your Workforce Through ChapGPT"

Here's an excerpt from his bio on Amazon:

As a member of the Peter Drucker Society Europe, he has exchanged ideas with representatives from other organizations and has himself applied the tools of collective and artificial intelligence he describes in his projects. He has more than 25 years of experience in writing technical books and has written on various management and IT topics. Adrian Vogler holds a degree in administration and a Master of Science in practical computer science with a focus on AI and Industry 4.0.