Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
September 2023 Poll is now OPEN!

Dear Charlie Chan Family and Friends,

Our September 2023 is now available for your vote! You may access it through links on our Bulletin Board or Entrance (Home) page or directly here at this address:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8TMCMTV

This month's poll question:

Have you read any "non-canon" (i.e. not written by Earl Derr Biggers) Charlie Chan mystery? (Y/N)

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: September 2023 Poll is now OPEN!

Dear Rush, a Great Question. I know I sure have! And a good place to find a list of them is at the "LIBRARY", at: https://charliechan.org/library/

Three very popular editions, were:
- Charlie Chan Returns (Dennis Lynds, 1974)
- Charlie Chan in The Pawns of Death (Bill Pronzini & Jeffrey M. Wallmann, 1974)
- Charlie Chan and the Curse of The Dragon Queen (Michael Avallone, 1981)

With later spinoffs, you might travel along with granddaughters, grandsons and the like of the famous detective (these Rush lists under: “OTHER” CHARLIE CHAN-RELATED MATERIAL" in the library.)

QUESTION: Has anyone read these 3 below (or have them) by The Whitman Publishing Company? I believe they were released under the name called "THE BETTER LITTLE BOOK" and were rather small sized 3 1/2" x 4 1/2". They produced series such as, Tarzan, Captain Midnight, Red Ryder, Smilin' Jack in the 1930s and often related to radio programs. All with drawings by Alfred Andriola.

1.Inspector Charlie Chan of the Honolulu Police.

In London, Charlie Chan seeks to locate a kidnapped scientist who has developed a formula for “Dark Light,” something that would allow spies from other countries to photograph anything through an invisible screen.

2. Inspector Charlie Chan Solves a New Mystery.

Charlie Chan solves a mystery aboard a “banana boat” freighter at sea.

3. Villainy on the High Seas.

What begins as a fishing expedition aboard a Navy Admiral’s yacht becomes a voyage fraught with danger and international espionage for Charlie Chan and his companions.

Re: September 2023 Poll is now OPEN!

Rush and Lou,

Other than Charlie Chan Returns, I've not read any other stories outside of the Biggers' Canon.

With regard to "Returns", my recollection is that I wasn't really impressed with it. Much like I wasn't impressed with the post Ian Fleming James Bond stories. The authors, in either case gave it a yeoman's try but the characterizations of Chan and Bond seemed over the top, as if the authors tried to make each an hyper exaggerated version of their former literary selves. I may have to go back and re-read it and update my thoughts on it.

I do have all three of the Whitman "Big Little" and "Better Little" books. I have not read them as mine are in collectible condition and as such those books are not for reading. I do recognize the irony in that.:joy: Having said that they are essentially comic books illustrated by Alfred Andriola (sp?) who did the regular newspaper comic strips. Have not looked at them in a while but I'll pull them out of the vault :joy: and report back any interesting info or tidbits.

Thank you so much,
Henry